This may be a dumb question…

• bigpike

How would you mount these ski’s, on the two main support panels towards the middle or the outer edges for most stability? Also added are a few pictures of my $200 sled- runs like a top- no reverse but very dependable..there is a little dust and dirt but don’t mind!!!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t see the skis doing much good in either position. Seems to me they’ll just break and cause more trouble than they’re worth. Why do you think you need them?

bigpike

Pulling them with the sled, it will keep the shack from snow plowing when weighted down with all my gear. Power auger, minnow bucket, locators, grill, cooler, tipups, 10lbs of lead, propane tank etc., also my sled is getting at the age were alot of bumps and bruises on the bottom of the shack are adding up and before you know it I have a rub hole in the bottom of the sled. $200 to replace it even more if I need to replace the whole shack, seems to make good sense to me, ofcourse they will be custom fit, and relatively easy to remove if I chose to do so and the mounting holes would be filled in with custom made delron plugs..This shack is already a classic, I had to special order the cover for it this year from Frabil! Also I plan on mounting the ski’s from inside the shack and not going through the skis so not to create any additional drag….The other idea I had to protect the bottom is make two or three long delron pads like the ski’s but I would have to machine them up and it would take more time.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Outside… split the difference, 6″ out the front, 6″ out the rear. That or attach a tow rope and the third buddy can ski out to the Jug !!!

big g

bigpike

The other bummer about the sled is no electric start, its my first sled and if I sweet talk ma maybe I can get an upgrade before the ice fishing season is done!!!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

you don’t need electric start, just adds weight and if you are pulling the sled out of a truck by yourself you won’t need that extra weight. Pretty nice sled, I’ve used old water skiis to spruce up an old portable, worked good in deep snow.

bigpike

I have purchased a tow bar attachment for the shack, you can see it mounted to the front of the shack…MilleLacs all nighter out on the flats

bigpike

The last weapon to go in my arsinal this fall will be an order to real weeds, I really think they will work great next to fish cribs I pound on

big_g
    Isle, MN

I got the tow bar too We will have to hookup this winter, on Mille Lacs.

big g

bigpike

That would be great, do you pull all nighters. I would drive out during the day of and just fish my but off through the night and crash out in a crappy motel….seems the bigguns come off the greatly under fished flats at night. (by under fished I mean at night)

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Outside…

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

From my experence you should try to line up the skis up with the tow sled, this way the trailer will track right and not want to go from one ski track to the other

take it for what it is worth

2K’S

bigpike

I like that idea, I noticed the ski’s on the sled are on the very outside thus most stability, I will have to measure the ski width on the machine and see if I can get that out of my shack! Thanks for all the ideas guys!!!!! I am getting pretty pumped for ice fishing season

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

you don’t need electric start, just adds weight and if you are pulling the sled out of a truck by yourself you won’t need that extra weight.

Agreed on not needing electric start! That is what ether is for!!!!! Don’t any of you guys remember using ether as a kid to start the old sleds????

big_g
    Isle, MN

Dad use to buy it by the case….

big g

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.