Out of State Shack License for MN

• Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Can anyone help out…..I heard rumors I would not need to purchase and out of state shack license this year to bring my portable shack out on the ice in MN….did that pass this year??

whatsa

bigpike

I heard they did away with this money making scam…..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

License for portables are gone. Fishing license fees for out of state fishermen were increased to cover the loss in revenue.

-J.

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Can anyone help out…..I heard rumors I would not need to purchase and out of state shack license this year to bring my portable shack out on the ice in MN….did that pass this year??

whatsa

Dont worry you will pay for it anyway…………

Jon beat me to it

timmy

Remember – This only applys to portables that are removed daily. If you leave a portable unattended over night – it will still need the license.

To all of the non-res’s paying the higher license fee so I don’t have to pay for my shelter licenese – Thanks!

Tim

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

When I bought my MN lisense this year I think it was the same price as last year???? That is what I had heard also (the fee would be raised) but I only paid $35 for my Non res Individual Angling lisence….I’m pretty sure that is the same price I paid last year.

Whatsa

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Next year it goes up. If you bought a 07/08 ice house license, they will not refund your money… (Remeber, licenses go March to March in Mn)

-J.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I didn’t buy the shack License just the Individual fishing….because I had heard they were going to drop that fee. Thanks….I never understood that rule……so if I fish out of my truck I didn’t need a shack license for my truck, but if I pull the portable out of the back to warm up I needed a license…..just didn’t make sense….I’m happy….. it should save me about $20 I don’t think the increase in fishing fee will be $34 the cost of the out of state shack fee.

Whatsa

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

I never understood that rule……so if I fish out of my truck I didn’t need a shack license for my truck,

You still could have been tagged in MN for no shelter lisc. To my knowledge anything used for a shelter prior to this new law was considered a shelter.

I think……………….A know a couple guys got tagged for that.

show148802

A little off point-
    How do you discern a portable from a permanent shack? If it’s canvas and you leave it set up all season is it permanent? I just know that some people’s portable shacks have wood walls and things like that.

timmy

Left unattended overnight = permanent.
    Attended and/or removed each night = portable.

Tim

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I think your question lies in the left unattended rule, I think you can have a portable wood sided shack, leave it unattended and still need a license. On the other hand if you don’t leave it unattended, you will not need to license. Doesn’t really matter what type of shack, just how you use it.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Quote:

Quote:

I never understood that rule……so if I fish out of my truck I didn’t need a shack license for my truck,

You still could have been tagged in MN for no shelter lisc. To my knowledge anything used for a shelter prior to this new law was considered a shelter.

I think……………….A know a couple guys got tagged for that.

You gatta be kidding…..so every body that ice fishes in MN and drives on the lake had to have a shelter lisc for their vehicle????? I don’t think so…..
    Whatsa

show148802

I think they mean if you’re using your truck for shelter, like sitting in it or somehting.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ve seen lot’s of people doing that…..sitting with the door open and the marcum mounted to the dash…..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The DNR did at one time ticket people for fishing out of trucks. Believe me, I know 2 people who got them. I think they changed their policy 2-3 years ago. Up until this year it was still illegal, but they just issue warnings.

Also, don’t forget you will still need to have your name/address/license# on your portable. That part of the law did not change.

-J.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Wow……Thanks For the info

bigpike

I dont mind paying a little more for an out of state liscense, I just didn’t like the fact they made you plunk down $20 for a little mobilty from our rental…

cny tim
    Rome, NY

I’m fishing the nationals up there in December what do you guys usually put on the portables in 2″ letters?

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have either the (1)complete name and address, (2)driver’s license number, or (3)the nine-digit Minnesota DNR number on the license of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least 2 inches in height.

show148802

Quote:

I’ve seen lot’s of people doing that…..sitting with the door open and the marcum mounted to the dash…..

I don’t know about a marcum on the dash, but I know I’ve had a vexilar on the floor of my truck, fishing out the door on the ice. If you wanna waste your time cutting holes in your truck for a marcum…..go ahead I guess.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I’m fishing the nationals up there in December what do you guys usually put on the portables in 2″ letters?

I print out my dnr number in 2 inch letters on regular 8 1/2 x 11 paper. (Landscape) and put that sheet in a plastic page protector then slip that page into the clear plastic sleeve on my Otter portable. You could do the same and use pins to attach to you portable if you don’t have a sleeve.

A lot of guys just use a sharpie and write the info on the shelter. But that is permenant.

-J.

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Thanks Jon that’s exactly what I was thinking would be the easiest way to go

sirchad
    Northwest Iowa

Is there a link to any info to confirm that us out of staters don’t need a fish house license. I have checked the online regs, and I’m either missing it or overlooking something. THanks!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.