Ice rod storage??

• wicked_1
    Eau Claire WI

What do you guys store and transport your rods in? I use a bucket with 2″ diameter x 6″ long tubes riveted inside a bucket so the rods stand straight up. Problem is i reel the baits to the tip and leave them tight on the tip. Doing this you get the lures caught on your coat or your ear or anything you get close. I bought a St Croix legend and I don’t want it damaged so I am wondering what you do with your rods.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I used the stone legacy revolution last year. I am getting another one this year- The are great bags. I really like mine for Iowa, because I can put in on my back(backpack style straps), and have everything I need to fish for a certain species. Jump on the snowmobile, hold on to my auger, and I have a bucket strapped to the back for my flasher and fish- That way I don’t have to haul my shack, on the warmer days. I would also recommend the ice rod sleeves- They keep the rods from getting tangled.

fish21

Stone Legacy Revolution as well for me. Simply the best on ice!

IceJohn

I stick my rods in golf club tubes.Cut a grove in it for reel foot rubberband behind that holds it in place.No broken rod tips or jigs caught on you.ICE JOHN

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

Yep……….. I copied Ice John and that works excellant.

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I got a cheap hard sided gun case a few years back. Found one that was only 4′ long. Works just fine.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I use a cheap hard plastic arrow case. You can fit 4 rods in it. I used to use a bucket with PVC tubes and slots. The problem is when you slide a whimpy noodle rod into them the tips break. I broke a few before I figured out what was going on. The tube pulls the line tight near the real and SNAP!!! I suppose I could have fixed it by making a longer slot for the line but found the arrow case and it works great.

Ferny

jetro
    Mayer, MN

I use a rod bag that I bought from Capras. JR’s tackle sells the same one. I have six rods in mine and it holds a lot of gear. I use rods sleeves, and the lure pouches from Todays Tackle to keep the lures from getting tangled up.

blufloyd

I use a gun case too. It makes the DNR and locals nervous but it is a great rod holder. I think I got 7 in it . The egg crate foam trims neatly too.

jjsherm

I use a see thru Christmas wrap storage unit. It has a space on top for stuff and is cheap.
    j

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I use a bucket with 2″ diameter x 6″ long tubes riveted inside a bucket so the rods stand straight up.

I stick my rods in golf club tubes.Cut a grove in it for reel foot rubberband behind that holds it in place.No broken rod tips or jigs caught on you.ICE JOHN

These are all good ideas when you are traveling on the first thin ice carrying your bucket and auger tip toeing along, when traveling very light is the key

When it comes time that I am loading up the Fish Trap however, I like the stone legacy revolution bag also. It holds 3 of my rods, tip ups and gear. When I want to set up I can leave the bag outside (making me more room inside the one man) without everything being exposed to the weather. It is compact enough to throw in the sled and yet I don’t worry about it spilling over when it is time to make a move.

No matter what you come up with, keeping your ice rods protected will sure help the longevity of the equipment.

Bret

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you like the Stone Legacy Revolution, check out the ROD-PAC system from MarCum this year. It is basically the the new and improved Revolution with Individual Rod Tubes.

If you are looking for an all in one. The ICE-PAC Tote system give you the same rod pack but also has an attachment for your flasher and comes with a sweet stand.

ROD-PAC

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I can’t wait to try out that ice-pac! It looks awesome!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Yes I will be trying one out this year as well. Very well built unit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.