Advice needed – Ice House on Wheels

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve decided if I’m ever going to get out of the house again(3 kids), I better figure out a way to take a kid or two. So, I’m looking for a wheel house I can take with me, possible pull with a wheeler or Ranger.

What should I be looking for when I start shopping the many manufactures?? I’m looking for a semi-custom setup. I want it to be 6.5 x 17, V front.I would like it to be framed and the exterior done. I want to add the bunks, stove, run wires etc….

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I always wanted to look at one of These fish houses If or when I ever a real nice house.

When you say ranger do you mean a ford ranger or one of those bigger golf cart type of wheelers? I believe the latter version is road legal too under some new laws in the past year or two, wheelers are ok, but a road legal wheeler would be even cooler.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m thinking Polaris Ranger or a similar product. I’m afraid a wheeler may not have quite the HP to pull something this big.

My problem with these houses is the interior fit/finish. Maybe I’m just way off base, but it doesn’t appear I could panel/finish the interior over the expansion foam???

russjudy
    Minnesota

just check us out were selling our ice castles that were used last season for 3 months plus other items to have you ready to go when you pick it up

the v-8×18 is in Avon, the 61/2 x 16 is in Brainerd
    [email protected] 1-320-356-7792
    no tax, tanks, regulators, 2000 watt generator, batteries, battery charger, etc

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

I’m thinking Polaris Ranger or a similar product. I’m afraid a wheeler may not have quite the HP to pull something this big.

My problem with these houses is the interior fit/finish. Maybe I’m just way off base, but it doesn’t appear I could panel/finish the interior over the expansion foam???

Kooty – The Aluma Lites really rock. I don’t have one myself, but have been comparing houses and studying them for about a year now. I hope to buy sometime soon. If you talk with the guys at Soderblooms they will complete the interior as far as you would like. For example, they will install wood strips down the frame to install paneling and wire in 12v/110v however you would like. Or you can get a basic insulated shell and do it yourself. It’s worth a call up there to discuss options.

The one thing to not overlook when buying a wheel house is to make sure your entrance door is on the passanger side. the reason being is that if you use it for camping, all campers have the door on the passenger side and the campsites are set up that way.

Moose hunting and a fish house. You are spoiled!

kooty
    Keymaster

This probably won’t be a purchase this year with #3 coming in January, but I want to buy something nice. I plan to use it as a camper/ice house. I’m hoping to find a lot on Mille Lacs to store it there. I’m only a little over an hour from the pond, so I’m guessing most of my fishing/recreational time will be on that lake.

I’ve really felt the lack of “guy” stuff lately. The moose hunt really kindled the fire to get back into hunting and fishing more. In oreder to do that, I’m gonna have to start taking 1 or 2 kids with me at times. I’m guessing leaving Ma home with 3 kids, age 3 and under will not last long if I try it very often.

I’ll make the call!!

Thanks!!

crappace

I have a 6.5 x 17 foot v front Ice Castle. If I had it to do over agian I’d get the 8 foot. I re plumbed all the gas lines and replaced two leaf springs in 4 seasons. I also would not get the vinal siding again. It cracks when cold on the road.

kooty
    Keymaster

This is the kind of advice I’m looking for, thanks!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.