What do I do ????

• kruger
    Metro,mn

I’am looking for a new portable ice shelter? I was looking at something in the 2-3 man range and I had two names in mind { otter and clam } but I don’t know witch one to go for. I had a clam 5600 before { witch will be up for sale soon } and really liked it but want something faster and more portable. Any help would be much a appreceated Kruger

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Wait til they show up in stores, is the best bet they are all a little different, personally I really like the fish trap’s now, they’ve come a long ways in the last couple years. I heard there is a Insulated X2 out there now, probably a bit heavy but that sounds really nice, being warmer and I’ll bet condensation doesn’t drip off the ceiling as bad either, not sure if it’s in my price range though sounds spendy…

My best advice is to try ’em all, frabil had the nicest seats last year, almost enough to convince me to look harder at one.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I would make a trip out to Fleet Farm or Cabelas and take a look!! I know they are both good portables that you have mentioned. I have used the Otter portables for the past 5 years and plan to continue using them because of the performance and quality that they provide.

You need to get out and kick the tires as some call it!! and make your own choice of brands!!!

wallster
    Austin, MN

I have a fish trap voyager and love it. Plenty of room for 2 guys and three can be fished out of it. This is my second one and I had the guide a few years ago. They set up in seconds and can be done by one person. I have fishe out of otters and eskimos. I personal like the fish trap better. The otter was nice but I just didnt like the sled as the angle on the front of the sled mad it hard for laying the gear in the sled, vs. the sled on the fish trap wasnt angled as much giving more of a flatter sled. I would take into consideration if you are going to be pulling the sled by hand or wheeler or in your vehical. Pulling these sled by hand can be a work out with gear and lots of snow. Whatever you go with I would make sure you go with a pop-up style fish house as they are much quicker and easier to set up.
    wallster ><((((>

bigpike

I have owned a two man flip over Frabil for 5 years and I love it, modular seating that can be pulled in and out with ease if your by yourself, black soaks up sun on cold sunny days, windows in every dirction and it has held up nice and I am tough on my equipment….

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

I have a Fish Trap Yukon and absolutely love it. I like the “flatter” sled because I feel it has more storage. Its perfect for 2 people and pulls easily. They are a very good shack in strong wind also. Just my opinion….. but shop around , I am sure there are others that will also do the job.

col._klink
    St Paul

Portable’s should only be 1 color BLUE I would buy another fish trap in a heartbeat! Those big green things I dont like. The new fish traps are out of this world. You can hook em up to your buddies sled turn around play cards and while fishing ? How much better could it get???

Run with the best Fish Trap

bassolicious
    St. Paul

Check out the Otter Wilderness Series. Very nice portable and the price is right. Team Otter’s website has them on special.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.