Home made reel weeds

• kruger
    Metro,mn

Thinking about making some reel weeds at home but I first got some q’s
    * how much moeny would i save
    * how duable would they be
    * would they work as good as the REEL WEEDS
    or should i just go get some from the store I really don’t know what to do???

oh yeah I would be making them from the strigs of floral for the craft store. what do you guys think

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

WELL I TRIED TO MAKE MY OWN LAST YEAR..GREEN GARLAND,DECOY WEIGHTS TO HOLD THEM DOWN,AND A FLOAT TO HOLD THEM STRAIGHT.IMO I WAISTED MY TIME..THEY FELL APART IN TWO OUTINGS..THATS MY TAKE ON IT ..GOOD LUCK

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Reel Weeds

Good luck finding materials that are made to hold up to the harsh environment that winter is known for. Reel Weeds are made to take such a beating.

I’m sure some have made there own systems but I can’t imagine them being as easy to use or last as long as the real, Reel Weeds

Just my opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was at the ice show last year with the guys from ReelWeeds. There were a guy that made his own. He bought $75. worth of plastic aquarium weeds…he said they worked ok…until he pulled them out of the water and they froze…and broke into a bajillion pieces. He was a little perturbed that ReelWeeds weren’t out sooner. He would have saved some money and a lot of hassle.

From the ReelWeeds website…www.reelweeds.com

Quote:

Q. Why not make my own structure?
    A.

LaDredge Outdoors has spent many years designing and patenting Reel Weeds™, including hundreds of hours of testing to create a product that will withstand extreme winter conditions, improving what was not right, and building the perfect artificial underwater weed for fishermen and fisheries.

For example, the SOS is composed of Reel Weeds™ that can withstand outside temps far below 0 degrees, has a non visible nylon cord running through the main vine and has 40 feet of custom manufactured cordage that exceeds 100 lb plus test. This cordage is designed specifically for underwater use. On top of everything else the floatation device is ice-free.

Summary: Although appearance and familiarity to fish is high on the list, quality, safety and durability exceeds everything else. Our product line has been custom designed and manufactured specifically with these factors in mind. It can withstand extreme winter weather conditions and is completely safe in our fisheries. We will cut no corners to provide to you the best possible artificial weed structure.

Please note: We caution anybody in constructing and/or submerging into our fisheries a homemade structure with products purchased from pet stores, tinsels from craft stores, etc. These products are in no way designed in any way, shape or form for this type of application. Many of these over the counter decorations have everything from wires to color dies that should not be introduced to our fisheries and are simply intended and constructed for heated aquariums, holiday decorations, or other interior household decor.

For additional information, please read the “Is Reel Weeds legal” FAQ.

But check into it and please…let us know how it turns out.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I made some but never got a chance to ry them out yet. I used some kind of Christmas decoration stuff my wife had….it looks like wire with pine needles coming out of it. I doubt if the fish would be very particular as long as it looks resonably close. I have no idea how this stuff will hold up. If it works out I’ll let you know.

I flinched when I saw the price of reel weeds too

Rootski

kruger
    Metro,mn

that was one of the biggest set backs for me is the price. I ‘am just kid mowin laws for a job and I can’t afford to spend that kind of money.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Start with a 2 pack I am married with my wife in grad school so I understand a tight budget.

Another thing is if you have a buddy you go out fishing with often have him buy a 2 pack and use them together.

kruger
    Metro,mn

I think I will try both. Because I found some REALLY heavy duty outdoor garland that I think might work and it was only $1.72 for 6 feet so we will give that a try. I will also invest some money into a small pack of reel weeds. Thanks Kruger

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Just a question about the reel weeds..I’m not saying I’m a skeptic, but how are the reel weeds going to benefit me when I am already fishing isolated structure keying on specific groups of fish? The weeds are to attract fish but I can’t see them making the fish bite. I just think if i’m already on a group of fish and they are on structure, nothing is going to make them move. I think the reel weeds would be awesome in a lake or river with a lack of structure, or heavy pressure and pull the fish to areas where the crowds aren’t, but where I fish, i’m targeting specific wood piles, weed clumps, or gravel/sand areas that I have located which hold fish. and I just can’t see myself benefiting that greatly from the reel weeds. anybody out there that could convince me how i could benefit from them?

Thanks,
    Cade

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything…just relaying my experience with them.

Quote:

The weeds are to attract fish but I can’t see them making the fish bite.

Your locater won’t make them bite either.

They are a tool just like your rod, locater or even (although a stretch), your auger.

My weeds are with my ice gear…they always come along and there are times I just don’t need them…I mean really…there are limits!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

My weeds are with my ice gear…they always come along and there are times I just don’t need them…I mean really…there are limits! [end of quote]

What I hear from people who use them is: they will help you catch a limit…and a limit….and a limit. Please practice catch & release/selective harvest.
    Thanks, Bill

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I seen a guy last year that made his own. He said the time and money spent was not worth it. I had to chuckle at his set up. Needless to say he ordered the reel deal..

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I did bring mine on the Mille lacs GTG trip last year staying with Lenny and Brian K. while they were out chasing fish, the 3 of us left in the house decided to drop them down 2 of the open holes in the house. it did not seem to make the fish bite, but definately did keep them around longer and we got longer looks as the fish seemed to go from the weeds to the jig and back to the weeds when they did not bite, at least that is how it looked on the camera.

Broncs

anderson_dc
    Pleasant Hill, IA

I havent bought the product yet but have done a little research on them. I guess one of the factors holding me back is the price of them. It seems a little too pricey for something such as it.

As others have menioned, the reel weeds arent going to make the fish bite your presentation much like the flasher wont. All it is going to do is potentially congregate fish to the area and keep them there a little bit longer then if there wasnt structure there. A lot of insects, plankton, baitfish like to reside in weedy structure as well as it provides cover from larger predators. Im guessing these are the factors as to why fish would be interested in the reel weeds. Plus some fish are very curious (perch/bluegill) and introducing something new into their environment will peak their curiosity.

I think this product would perform the best in a lake void of vegetation or with little structure available. Putting a string of reel weeds right in the middle of a shallow bay with ample vegetation probably wont produce great results considering they already have a lot of cover available to them. The product would probably do really well late in the ice season when all of the exisiting vegetation starts to die off and brown.

Just my two cents

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I used them quite a bit last year on Mille Lacs. We had them on our camera cords. That was really cool, because you sould see the fish swimming FROM the camera/weed to the bait. It happened quite often. Enough so that we have equipped all of our cameras with them.
    Also, we would drop another weed at the far end of the shack so that the camera pointed at it. It made it easy to find the other lines, and you could see the fish relating to the weed.
    I was skeptical at first. They will not make fish bite, but they sure do not scare them away!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

My take- In terms of cost-time ratio- the price for reel weeds is money well spent. I can’t go to the store, buy and make “homemade” weeds to justify the time spent. Just like changing my own oil- my time is valuable to me- I can have it done for cheaper than the time it would take me to do it myself.

Help you catch more fish- definitely. Make them bite- no. Make fish more apt to bite by feeling protected- yes. I like to ice fish small rivers in my area for lack of pressure. Time and time again, I have set reel weeds down in an area with no fish, and came back 1/2 to a hour later, and caught many fish relating to the weeds. Do they work every time? No, but I will always carry them with me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.