First Ice Day- Pick a date

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

This one is for all you die-hard ice guys like me. Football season is upon us which, if you are like me… means one thing. ICE FISHING is almost here!!!

What date do you suspect we will see the first dare-devils venturing out onto the ice to chip a hole?

I am throwing out November 16th in the Twin Cities area. I know some crazy guys that see a glaze over the lake and throw on the wetsuit and a life jacket. Whats your guess???

BRING ON THE ICE

timmy

It may ice up earlier, but the first day that matters here to me is Dec 1 – the first day you can fish the old fashioned way….with the old 7 tined hook

Tim

col._klink
    St Paul

I will toss out Dec 1st. Have not had good ice in Nov. in a while if my memory is right??

whiskeyandwater
    ????

November 28th! More hoping than anything.

big_g
    Isle, MN

When we were kids it was always Thanksgiving for skates, so I will say the friday after T-Day. Fingers crossed anyways…

big g

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

November 19th eyes through the ice on Mid Eau Claire.

Moores Bait

Last year while we were doing the Rush Lake Get together, drilling thru some decent 8-10 inch Ice, we had boaters chasing Muskies on Harriet in the cities. That was Janurary 5th I believe, but for the most part I will say December 14th for the shallower lakes in the area.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

November 29th

Derek Hanson

No way will there be ice nov. 16 in the cities. You would have to travel up near the border of canada to get ice then. I’ll be ice fishing by the first week of December in the Longville area.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

For you people up north I’d guess first SAFE ice around the last week of November. Down here on the Mississippi at Dubuque I hope that it doesn’t ice over so I can fish out of my boat all winter long. If it does ice over down here it is usually the first week or two in December. I can only take ice fishing a couple times a year and then I need open water. I know guys that like to go ice fishing whether or not the fish are biting but they all drink when they are on the ice and I don’t drink so when the fish aren’t jumping out of the holes ice fishing is as boring as it gets. Give me open water year round and I’d be happy.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, mallard… I remeber days past walking across throughly frozen ponds to get to my deer stand. Wasn’t always as warm in November as it has been the last couple years. So, unless you are a firm beleiver in global warming… “it could happen”.

First week of December? come’on… pick a date. This is all in fun.

haner

My guess for ice in central MN this yr is Nov 22, i think last yr lakes were iced over Dec 1st.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

I know guys that like to go ice fishing whether or not the fish are biting but they all drink when they are on the ice and I don’t drink so when the fish aren’t jumping out of the holes ice fishing is as boring as it gets.

Now, I’m not one that is totally against taking a few nips off of the grog… but going out just to drink… that ain’t ice fishing. That’s ice drinking.

Derek Hanson

Do you mean ice over, or the first day it is safe to walk on the ice. I’m saying it will be safe for me to walk on the ice by the first week of December. First ice over I would say November 18th.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I am talking about the first date you think people will start venturing on the ice (I know some that will go out with 1 1/2 inches of ice… if that).

haner

oh, start going on the ice, i say Dec. 7th in Central Mn

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Friday December 14th it will safe enough to tip up fish on mille lacs.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed, and hope we don’t have ice until the end of Jan. I would love to be huckin baits all the way through nov-dec

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

ill go with my birthday, November 27 there would be a nice present.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed, and hope we don’t have ice until the end of Jan. I would love to be huckin baits all the way through nov-dec

Uh… Bob? Wrong forum to be saying such things… now sloooowly back away from the keyboard……..

Derek Hanson

I did the 1 and a half inch thing years ago and found out the hard way that its not worth it!! Its a real B___ch trying to get back on the ice, I had to break the ice all the way back to shore to get out. I was in the water for over 15 minutes and not sure how close to hypothermia. Not worth it!!!!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Believe me, Baby Mallard… I am with you! Wouldn’t catch me out there. I just know of some people that are willing to take the chance. STUPID if you ask me.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Uh… Bob? Wrong forum to be saying such things… now sloooowly back away from the keyboard……..

Sorry, I must still be feeling the effects from last night Don’t get me wrong, I love to ice fish, but there are just to many things I look forward to in the fall, and there just never seems to be enough time to get them all in. Fall should last for about 5 months

Bob Bowman
    MN

Ok, I am gonna leave now, go home hook up the boat, and get out on the water. Have a great weekend

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It USED to be Thanksgiving weekend. The last few years it’s been Christmas! I’ll say December 28th. I dunno Dave it’s pretty tough to get excited about ice fishing when the river is still open.

Did I really just say that? Mike W, what did you do to me???

Rootski

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Sorry, I must still be feeling the effects from last night Don’t get me wrong, I love to ice fish, but there are just to many things I look forward to in the fall, and there just never seems to be enough time to get them all in. Fall should last for about 5 months

So your saying we should take the time to make a 5 month fall out of summer right?

Bring on the sub zero weather!!!!!!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

December 3 South of the Metro, November 17 up in the Leech/Winnie/Long Lake and Mille Lacs areas.

.mnmike
    red wing, mn

I will say december 25, on christmas day down here in Red Wing

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Dec,4th

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Dec. 8th on my local lake here in NE Iowa.

Ed

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.