Building an Ice House

• greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I am thinking about building an ice house to use up at Mille Lacs. I am thinking maybe 8′ by 14′ or maybe 16′. I would like to use it all year round, as a summer “cabin” and a winter shack. I am looking for any input anyone has to offer as far as tips, ideas, etc. I am confident in my abilities to build from the floor up, but I am looking for any input as far as flooring and runner systems. If I could afford the $2000 they want for a drop-down wheel frame, I’d go that way. But given the fact that I can get a real good deal on the door, windows, lighting and furnace, $2000 is about my entire budget. So any input at all would be greatly appreciated. I’d especially like to hear from any of the resort guys who move them around- what can I do to make it easier for you to be easier on my house! Hey, I know it’s June, but I want to start building in about 6 weeks…..
    Thanks-
    Greg

kurtkid
    South metro

Greg,
    In my opinion, I wouldn’t waste my time building a house.
    If you want a house on Mile Lac. I would go shopping around there are tons of them for sale. Just check around at the resorts. I had a 14′ It was great for 1 or 2 guys. But it was cramped 16-18′ would be the way to go.

Another thing to think about is how much it going to cost for usage. I was paying aroud 1200.oo a year for winter summer use. I ‘ve heard guys paying 1600.oo a year Over the course of five years you could own an wheel house and take it anywhere you like. Just some thig to think about.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Greg, whatever you do, go 10 feet wide. You’ll appreciate it later. Also, what the resorts like, is chains on both ends of the skids.

big g

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Greg, how are your plans coming along? Found anything yet?

Jon

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

UGH! Mortgage, kids, and an unexpected bathroom remodel have sidelined plans, again…… How in the world can a room that is only 60 square feet cost $2000 to re-do??? And I am doing it all myself! I can’t imagine what it would cost to pay a contractor!!!!! Anyway, I am still looking for stuff (shacks) for sale, and kicking around the idea of building, but it doesn’t seem likely for this year. A guy’s gotta dream, though, right?????
    My only hope is that by the time I can actually afford to do everything I want to do, I won’t be so old that I won’t want to do it anymore!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.