Good end to the ice season

• Bob Bowman
    MN

I got one last chance to get up to the cabin for some ice fishing a little over a week ago. The ice was still holding at about 24 inches, but was going fast while I was up there. I was in the Hackensack area for a Thursday-Sunday trip. The gills and crappies were very active with the nice weather that I was rewarded with. Most of the gills would hit just as I started to drop my bait down the hole, it seemed that the bigger gills were just under the ice. Watching the line was a must, it would just go slack, and pow, a bull was on. The crappies would come through very fast, and leave just as fast. For some reason they really seemed to be on the move. If I saw them, they would hit and I would pick up 4-5 crappies and then they were gone. All of the fish that I got were in shallow. It took me a very long time to locate them. I drilled about 80 holes prior to catching any fish, to be honest, I was starting to worry a little that I was going to end up skunked after all those holes. I finally found fish on the far south end of the lake, just out in front of a creek. The creek has a fair about of moving water and I think the fish were staging there. Once located, I set up camp and caught fish until dark. I was only fishing in about 5-8 feet of water, and once the darkness set in the bite was over. The gills that I got sure were some pretty fish, the colors on these were very nice. Here are a few photos from my last ice trip of the year, and what a way to end it! Hey, Larson….how was work

Bob Bowman
    MN

Bye, Bye Ice and hello open water

Bob Bowman
    MN

This photo was from the day prior when I was dilling holes like a mad man and not finding fish. Once I got on them in a different place I had 2 swans come over the lake and land right where I had drilled holes. It was like watching geese land in a decoy spread. Not sure exactly why they decided to land there but it was fun to watch them for the afternoon while out on the ice. Nothing like watching a 747 come right over the top of you and land on the ice…

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Nice looking fish! I am getting the itch to get out on the open water again if we could just get some warmer weather.

jeffa
    Hager City

Great report, I had the same experience in a WI lake week or so ago. Nothing beats late ice, shallow water panfishing.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice look’n catch

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It looks to me that the ice shavings appear like decoys.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

It looks to me that the ice shavings appear like decoys.

Awe yes…..the decoy tactic Good call kooty

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.