Slip knots

• big_g
    Isle, MN

I was getting a little frustrated this last weekend. I was using 2 lb test, and when I would reel up, the line diameter was so small, the knot was so loose, it kept getting caught in the first eyelet and therefore loosing my depth. I retied a new one on, and really tightened it up, I went to adjust the depth, and it was so tight, I broke the line trying to move it I then respooled with 6lb and was fine. What does everyone do with 2 lb, or don’t you use it ? I will take any ideas you have. I though about getting a black marker and just marking the line, but I had my 9 year old nephew, and a bobber would definitely be better for him. Thanks.

big g

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

One simple answer–use a “spring bobber”.
    I never use a slip knot on light line, for the exact reasons you mentioned.
    On 4-6# line slip knots work fine.
    Make sure you wet the knot before cinching it tight, then it seems to hold better.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

big G,

Have you ever tried the kind you weave through the line.
    Might work better on smaller dia. lines.

Like this: Third one over from the left.

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

I use the slip knot all the time but what I do is leave it 1 turn in the real. It has worked for me over the last few years and my freinds have started to do so also.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hey guys, thanks for the replys ! I use my camera, so I really only need the bobber for my young nephew, I do not think he could grasp the spring bobber yet, and how do you know how far down you are, do you then mark the line ? I looked at the weave ones, they look like they would work, but how hard is it to weave a 2lb line through it ??? Might have to get out the magnifying glass huh ? I like the idea of leaving the knot a turn in the rod, which I could do, but not the little guy. I will probably try the weave ones for him, and maybe mark the line or leave the knot in the rod. Thanks again !!!

big g

mark winkels

All I use are the bobber stops that weave on. You can get them at Fleet Farm or Gander for right around a buck. The ones that are red in color last longer than the black ones. they also cost more must be a different type of plastic. I throw all the beads away just keep the stops. I like them because you can reuse them.
    One problem you might have with the weave ones is the mono line will want to twist up on you and sometimes end up with a loose loop on the spinning reel spool. Hope that made sense.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.