Odd or unusual catches!!!!

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Guys….and Gals…..I would like to see the unusual catches. It does not have to be just on the ice but as some of you may have noticed I am not into catching walleyes, slaps, bull gills but into odd fish. I am out there for the fun of it and like to see unusual things. CastandBlast and I have been doing this for a while now. A couple of the highlights have been Whitefish, Tulibee, Quillback, and eel. Most of you cringe but that is what I enjoy. To me walleye are overrated but I do enjoy targeting them once in a while

I’ll post a few pics later.

beave
    MPLS

I Caught an OLD 6 pack, Bike tire, a purse, 2 rod/reel combos, and many o buzz(s) on the Mississippi.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Wife caught a pretty angry beaver..

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I caught a seagull once……in mid-air…..and yes, I have a witness

eyebuster
    Duluth

I caught a dead Northern last weekend at the Rochester GTG about 5 lbs

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

I caught a womens swimming suit once

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

An old timer showed me a good place and technique to catch snapping turtles with a hook and line. To this day I have never had a fish fight as hard as a big snapper does. He has since passed away and I have not and probably will not do it again. I think its better left as a special memory and secret between me and him.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I used to catch Bull Frogs in Kansas with a string and a hook and a red piece of hankerchief.That was fun times.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

I was fishing a small stream last May with a inline spinner. Felt a bump and then dead weight. Reeled it in – turned out to be an 11″ yellow bullhead.

UG

col._klink
    St Paul

Buddy of mine dropped his $200 sun glasses down a hole on Red a couple of weeks ago. With the help of my Marcum and a jigging rap I got them back for him. Not much of fight……….

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

About 10 years ago I was fishing a stream in SE MN for trout and caught a 14″ sauger.This fish was about 20 miles from the Mississippi.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I caught a 69″ sturgeon on Portage Lake near Houghton, MI while fishing for crappies. All I had back then was a 4″ hand auger because I was going to college up there. Needless to say, I had to have someone go and get a hatchet to make the hole bigger in order to get the fish out. Thinking back, I should have just cut the line, but I didn’t know what it was until we got it holed. Caught it on an old lightweight 26″ ice rod. I thought I had hooked into a nice pike, but turned out to be my first and only sturgeon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The rumor is that I kissed this channel cat two years ago when I caught it…then caught it again last year….

coppertop
    Central MN

Years ago when I was about 10 my father and I were fishing muskies on the Mississippi north of St.Cloud and my dad caught the face of an old 3 reel slot machine about a mile downstream of the Rice bridge, We had heard rumors that they were dumped over when they were outlawed way back???

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I hooked a seagull-, had a greenhead grab one of my floating frogs, and most recently was walleye fishing, felt an unusual bite and noticed that there was a loon with my minnow in her mouth. a quick snap of the rod pulled it out of her mouth,thank god.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Panty Liner……… But it had wings!!!!!!

Trolling down in Moline at the RCL Championship.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Did you place?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

He should have “Placed” in on the mouth of that cat in your pic.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I must say Brian that is an ugly mouth! Not even a mother could love that mouth.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

About 10 years ago on Mille Lacs ice fishing a friend some how kicked his fl-8 and it got sideways in the top of the hole, and the battery feel out, came unconnected, and went to the bottom in 20 feet of water. We could see the battery, and my friend was without his flasher for the rest of the weekend. After I gave it some thought. I fished it out with a 25 foot 1 inch steel tape measure, some braided line, and some duct-tape. it did save his weekend..

A long time ago, trolling for Coho’s out of Waukegan in a friends boats. my friend put his boat in neutral to land a nice Coho, I was holding a flat line rod pulling a Rapala, and watched my friend fight and land his fish. I was not watching my rod at all, then I had a big strike, and I set the hook hard, to then see my line going straight up in the air, and a Seagull trying to catch himself after I jerked him on the hookset. ( the minnow bait floated to the surface while we slowed down). We landed that bird after a big fight, and did a live release.
    Jack..

fishermen50

Caught a 8lb northern with bird quills sticking out thru belly skin.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Tied up with a muskrat one time while I was fishing bass with a rattle trap.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.