Jiffy 30 questions

• deckhand
    Rochester, MN

Hello all I recently purchased a Jiffy 30 8″ auger and could use a little advice. First how hard are they to start? This one seems to take quit a few pulls to get her running. Second what mixture are U using with the gas. I know it says 24:1 however when I went to the local small engine shop they told me I should ignore that and go 50:1 with a better oil such as Opti or Stihl. I’ve followed the directions to a T and am slightly disappointed in how hard it is to start, once started it runs like a dream, no complaints. All inquires welcome and thanx for the help.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Do NOT mix it 50:1!! A techumseh auger engine is not comparable to a stihl engine. Stihl chainsaw oil is mixed two small oil bottles to five gallons. Use Jiffy brand oil and mix one bottle to one gallon like it says, it says it for a reason, theres a big difference between 24 or 50:1. Instructions should be on the engine on how to properly start it. Full choke, prime 4-8 times or so, and pull a few times. Repeat if neccesary. Always idle on half choke for 30sec-min for proper warm up and then let it idle some more. Sometimes u have to hold the throttle in when u pull it over if it gets bucky, even though its not recomended for safety reasons. My 3hp start first or second pull all the time Sounds like alot but once u get it figured out it is like second nature, u wont even realize your doing it.

Some engines just start certain ways for some reason. I work for a tree service and for example, to start Stihl chainsaws u put on full choke, pull, the engine will fire, flip to half choke, pull, the engine will start, warm up, switch to run, warm it up and start makin’ wood chips fly. Just the way it works.

Good luck

deckhand
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the Info I’ll keep playing with it. 15 to 20 pulls seems like a lot.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

You may want to PM Derek Johnston he can assist you with your Jiffy questions best…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

15-20 pullis is wrong. Are you choking it and priming it? DOesnt sound like you are. If you are take to small engine shop for repair because something is wrong.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

1-3 pulls is normal. I agree, something needs to be tweaked.

deckhand
    Rochester, MN

I Agree it seems excessive. I was out this afternoon in Winona using it and it seems to be coming around all of a sudden. I’ll continue to work with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.