Heading to Winnie for the 1st Time

• col._klink
    St Paul

Heading up to Winnie this weekend for the first time. Can anybody pony up any advice on what to look for and a general location to fish?

I have a nice GPS thanks to Jolly Ann and the Lakemaster’s chip. Just looking for the where and the what.

I think we will be heading out of Tamarack Lodge. Not to worried about the fishing just a little worried about the snow amounts.

Thanks,

John

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Winnie is a lake that is nearly 68,000 acres in size. She is loaded with structure and loaded with fish. This time of the year the metabolism of the females is increasing to help maintain the upcoming spawn. Once you locate them you will have a blast.

Places to start this time of the year would be Perch Bar, Zoomer’s, or Raven’s Point. Search for places with steep drop offs and inside pockets with a flat on top of the bar. I normally try the breaks first and if I can not locate them on the break I will try the shallowest part of the bar and work my way down. Do not be afraid to work down into 30-40’ of water. Out there you just never know where you will find them. Drill lots of holes and it will pay off….”most of the time”

As for presentation I use the Perch colored Go Devil jigging spoon tipped with the head of a minnow. If they are being finicky I will go to a 6” dropper under this spoon and tip it with wax worms. Bring lots of bait because if they are biting you will need it!

Tamarack Lodge would be my choice of places to access the lake. Unfortunately I have not been out there for a while and right now there is plenty of snow cover on the lake. The people at Tamarack Lodge will also assist you in spots to try and provide you with some great fishing information.

Good luck and have fun!!

col._klink
    St Paul

Thanks for the info! hopefully we can put the hurt on some perch!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.