La Crosse area Ice Fishing

• rocky2298
    Milwaukee

I’m trying to decide where to go fishing for a few days starting tomorrow. I would really like to get away from the city (Milwaukee) fishing. I only really get to fish around SE WI. and as far away as Fox Lake. I have always heard good things about the backwaters but have never had anyone that wants to go with me out there.

Could I please get some info on maybe a couple areas that would be accesible by foot (I realize all the white gold out that way has created tough mobility I bet) and sled? Or even just a baitshop I could stop at to get bait and some info on ice conditions and bite. I will read through all the other topics and discussions to hopefully get a better idea of the area.

Thanks a Million for any help you can provide me

~Steve

PS: Does gamefish season on the backwaters close March 4th?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The bite has been slow on pool 8 backwaters for me. and yes its tough walking through the slush crap. Its pretty cold today, It just may be stiffened up a bit. But its annoying for sure and I couldn’t buy a bite, or mark a fish on pool 8 yesterday. For bait, stop in at Ace of La Crosse, Bob’s or Schaffers. They all can usually provide some information on where the fish are biting. And no, there is no gamefish season end…The Mississippi River at La Crosse is boundry waters and there are no closed seasons for fishing between the tracks of Wisconsin/Minnesota

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

dont waste your time…the bite today was non existant

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Hey Ben yeah I haven’t caught Jack since about the 16th of February

rocky2298
    Milwaukee

Thanks a bunch, Cade and Ben. Not the reports I wanted to hear but had a feeling that’s what it was going to be at the moment. Cool news tho on the gamefish season! Thanks a lot for the names of the baitshops also.

I would really like to try out they way yet this season, hopefully mobility and fishing will pick up for you guys soon.

Well – Back to the drawing board again for a area to try for a few days.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Not a problem..

Bob’s bait is on French Island, Schaffers is in Brice’s Prairie on the north end of Lake Onalaska, and Ace is on the southside of LAX in the shelby mall. They (ACE) have pretty good bait..I bought some minnows there on January 12th and just threw the remaining ones out last night in the snow (some of which were still alive ) so they have good bait.

By the way, Welcome to IDA! We are happy to have you here

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

hey cade how’d you end up doing that day after i left?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I don’t remember the exact ammount, but somewhere around 6 or 7 of those tiny 4-6″ crappies and one perch of the same size

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

you could try the prairie area. ive heard some good reports.there are a ton of differant places to go.from bertom,bagley up to stoddard.i dont know if your going to focus on LX area or not. an extra hour driving could make a big differance. good luck.

earnit

We fished LaCrosse area today…..and all I can say is….Bad for fishing! It was still nice to be out, the Birds were singing like crazy!

Game Warden paid us a visit. No problems on that end. Only problem was…..NO FISH.

That happens. I still had a fun day!

rocky2298
    Milwaukee

Thanks JD & TJ… I have no set area to really try. I have a week off so I think I will just try and be mobile between LX & Prairie. The warmup should only help things you would think later this week? I’m just nervous of going on waters I have no Idea about. I would like to keep my Fat on top of the ice.

Can I throw a tipup in while jigging for northern & walleye? The Gander mountain here is out of regulations and I’m having problems getting on the DNR site.

If anybody want’s someone to tag along for a day just send me a message and I will give you my cell phone #. I will be fishing somewhere during the period of March 7-14th. I’m open to try anything – anywhere.

Thanks again Gang!

Good luck and stay safe.

~Steve

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The last warm up we had really helped for me. Not so much during the warm up, but just before it. It had been pretty cold for a very long time, and finally we were about to crack into some 40 degree air. It was on a sunday, bluebird skies, the fishing sucked. Finally, in the afternoon, the clouds started rolling in showing signs of the front moving in and it was like someone flipped a switch the fish were on a tear and were still biting when we had to leave. So if you can make it out the day before the front comes through, and the day that it actually does come through, i believe that is when you will see your best fishing. Good luck,
    Cade

rocky2298
    Milwaukee

Mudshark, thanks for the kind offer! sending my cell # now. Sorry I didn’t respond earlier but my trucks tranny decided to crap the bed yesterday, and is now going to the shop this afternoon Looks like I will have to rent something. Just got done checking out prices, pretty cheap for a car – 128 for a week. Truck for a week is pushing 450 bucks (not happening) I will just have to leave the shack and power auger at home. If the temps climb like they say for later this week I wont need a shack anyways. My 6″ Lazer augers does well, but my out of shape does’nt do so well when the ice is pushing 20″.

Cade, thanks again for all your great tips and help – you really know your stuff

Enough rambling for now, I need to clean out the truck a little before the tow truck comes…

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

Hey Guys,
    I’m going to be off work the week of March 11th and I’m in pretty much the same corner as Hunter74 is: I want to come over, but I’ve never been over your way, ice fishing. I’ve been reading the reports and have bait shop, and fish manager contact info. Any help/fishing partner would be appreciated. Might be able to bring my buddies ATV?
    Thanks, Gregory

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

well the fishing yesterday was MUCH better…panfish wise that is. couldnt keep my pole in the water….however tonight i was tip up fishing and yea i dont suggest that

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

With the forecast for this weekend I would expect there to be a better bite than most found last weekend. Make sure to have some good water proof boots because there is only going to be more water on top of the ice with the temps in the forties! I will be starting with the color Black

rocky2298
    Milwaukee

Mud shark, just wondering if you got my private message? When I go to “My Home” it says I have zero sent messages. Not sure if that means anything?

Weather is loking great, maybe to great with the warm temps? Could be a real mess out there?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Nope…Never got a PM from ya…..Try again
    Yep…the weather warm-up will cause some water but the bite “should” pick-up (I hope)
    Might want to think tip-up fish’in……you would think the snakes are gonna start biting soon…

rocky2298
    Milwaukee

Tried again, right after that post I did. Still nothing eh?

Still planing on coming out, but my trucks tranny went out and is in the shop – so I will be renting a vehicle. Going to have to pack light and I will sure miss my Frabil shack and sled to pull the gear.

Fishing for some snakes sounds like fun to me! If your still up to giving me a little tour I would greatly appreciate it Just let me know when is a good time and day/s for you. I have off from this Thurs-Next Thurs. I will bring the beer and Minners

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.