For you, what is ice fishing really all about?

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

I haven’t been out ice fishing in nearly twenty five years. A friend of mine called and asked me to go.

It seems that catching up on gossip and drinking booze is the thing to do. Then when a tip up is tripped, everyone gets on the ATV and barrels across the ice to check it out. Six or eight guys checking out one line, only to find sometimes there isn’t always fish on the other end.

I had a good time, the furnace kept the shack warm,the chairs were comfortable, the food was good, and lots of good company. Last time I went ice fishing, I was sitting on a five gallon bucket. I guess some are just more serious than others. I’ll be going out on the ice soon.

This is more than just fishing.

shaley
    Milford IA

Its my time weather in the shack or in the boat. Its where I can go and relax, be with friends and family. Some have golf We have fishing

col._klink
    St Paul

When I am on the ice the cell is off and the thinking begins. One of the few times a guy can really relax. Almost as relaxing as bow hunting. I fish alone alot but it is nice to fish with your buds sometimes too.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I was sitting in my Trap on Mille lacs in late Dec. I could not hear anything, I dont think it ever gets that quiet in the summer. It was the first time in a LONG time that I was actually alone. I didnt want to move..

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It is the quest to find bigger fish. Or making the negative fish bite by trying different techniques, jigs, or bait. It is about getting out with friends and enjoying the outdoors. It is about trying to find where fish are at different times of the ice season. It is about sitting in the portable and getting a chance to clear your mind.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Life seems to slow down a little when fishing or hunting and you have to find something you enjoy in the winter otherwise you just complain that it is too long!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

For me ice fishing is a great time to “catch up” with friends and family. What else do you do when you wait for the bobber to go down or the tip up to shoot up…talk and listen to one another…I also enjoy sitting in the house alone and unwind…like colk said its like bowhunting when your out there alone…enjoy all…Rat

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Seeing my two boys stick big panfish,watching them learn how to tie jigs on,bait a hook,take off fish(which is usually hilarious ) being with friends and family but sometimes meeting new people and exchanging info. To me it’s the whole package,rarely do I feel more alive than when I’,m on the ice and my stick doubles over on a big……….?

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Check out Zumbro Family Fun in the fishing reports.
    It’s a life style Doug

mikev

For me, it’s a way to pass the time till open water.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

It’s to get away from the every day rat race, to just go out and relax and try not to worry about any thing. Or to spend time with friends or family away from every thing! It’s not always about catching fish.

Ed

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

It’s not always about catching fish.

Ed

Some days its about making your auger swim

Sorry Ed couldnt resist

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Next week hopefully it will be about saving my auger from the depths!

Ed

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I never involve alchohol and fishing, sorry. It is my time if with friends to sit and enjoy the company of others and hope to catch some fish to talk about years later. If by myself it is a time I use to think about the directions I have taken in life and which ones I want to take next and catch fish. And as Derek posted there is sometimes out there some of the best views of nature in its finest moments ice fishing…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

It seems that catching up on gossip and drinking booze is the thing to do. Then when a tip up is tripped, everyone gets on the ATV and barrels across the ice to check it out.

Can’t say that I can condone this type of behavior. This stuff sometimes gives sportsman a bad name.

For me, I enjoy the quite solitude that goes into fishing. As I have told my wife before… guys go out fishing together, it isn’t always about the “discussions”. 2 guys can sit in a small portable icehouse for hours without a word said and there is never a moment of uncomfortableness. It is fishing. Whether I am with a buddy or by myself. I sit there staring at my MarCum and my rod… and I concentrate on what lure or presentation or practice is going to bring the next one ine. Then I think about what excuses I can come up with to tell the FW why I didn’t catch any fish on that particular outing so that she will allow me to continue to go out fishing Othertimes, I merely get out to forget about work for a while…and think about what excuses I can tell my boss why I was not in to work today

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

It was the first time in a LONG time that I was actually alone. I didnt want to move..

Exactly…

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

It is funny how the more fishing I do, the less I want to drink beer when I am doing it. Don’t get me wrong, I like my beer. But I can’t remember the last time I had a beer on the ice. I get more out fishing than a little alcohol. I could stay home, be warm, and drink beer. jmo. Ted

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

what is ice fishing really all about

Fishing!!

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

It is about catching fish for me.I can concentrate on lifes issues at home,when the other half is gone.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

what is ice fishing really all about

Just time to get the Honey-to-do List done.
    Organize tackle
    Boat maintance

And get ready for the next smallmouth season

Ron

david_scott
    Twin Cities

What is Ice fishing really about?

I honestly HATE ice fishing these days.. but I still do it close to 5 days a week. Why? It beats sitting on the couch. I isolate most of my fishing time to prime time bites, I dont spend all the extra time on frozen water. I focus all my attention to be as efficient and effective as possible, in the shortest time as possible.

My ice fishing days will be over this season in a week or 2, then it will be open water catfish and walleyes and the ice gear wll get packed out of site!

Ice fishing means to me.. its cold outside, often too cold for a penguin let alone humans! There is too much perfectly good fishing water frozen. Its too much work, either you lug around a 30# auger to drill a ton of holes, or hope your best friend is a triathelete(sp?) to take up drilling holes wit the hand auger when your tired. Its expensive, I think I payed more in 1# propane cylanders this year as I did my home heating bill.. I didnt want the extra 20# propane tank for cargo.

Sorry guys, I am ready for mosquito’s, biting flies, high humidity, sunburn, thunderstorms, white caps, snakes, eels… Or WARM weather and BIG fish!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

For me it starts off at the end of October. I start getting the urge for long walks on hard water in search of the first ice bite. There is a lot of time spent in the shop getting jig sticks re-spooled and the Beaver Dams in new like condition. I’ll spend time getting leaders made and the jig boxes in order, and then in order again, and then maybe one more time to make sure I’m not missing anything

November I spend time in the deer stand thinking about the ice knowing it can happen any day. Thoughts of where I might be at on first ice and what species might be on the first bite bring goose pimples over my body When the temps are getting below freezing gas starts to flow through the truck. I spend time covering a lot of ground looking for the first signs of ice so I can beat the first wave of people to the community holes that produce numbers of fish.

Once I have found ice and I know I am going to be fishing it the next day, it is a sleepless night for me knowing the hunt for hard water pannies, Pike and eyes is off to a start! To me once there is ice, I like to hit different areas through the season trying to trick the different species of fish. Normally the Northern are my first target being the areas they prefer first ice are the first to freeze. Then I like to move on the gill bite in search of the true 9 inch bulls. Nothing fights as hard as a true bull on 2# line and a light jig stick As the weather continues to get colder and the ice thicker I like to change up to the crappie and perch bite. When we have a winter like this year, 3 weeks below 0 at night, I like to fish the Lock and Dam areas for Sauger/Walleyes and enjoy the jumbo perch that come along as a bonus.

I guess for me this makes ice fishing a test of finding different species and staying on a good bite as we go through the weather a lot of people despise. It’s about sharing the areas producing for you with good friends who have the same passion for the sport. It is a test of man and equipment in what can be a very harsh environment at times, but a rewarding feeling when you are able to put it all together and walk away with nice pictures and an occasional fish fry

For me it is a dieses, and a good one at that

Bret

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Very well put Bret

biteme
    Eagan, MN

Its about the the gear, the planning, the chase, the catch. Its time alone to think and plan the next trip, its about being outside and enjoying nature. Its about perfecting the gear, the chase and the catch. Its time away from lifes hassels. And not just for you guys. Being a woman, I love it just as much as you all. My guy fishing buddy and I, love the gear, the planning, the perfecting, chatting or just sitting, fishing and not talking.

“Life must be lived, thats all there is to it.”
    Elenor Roosevelt.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Ice fishing involves my 3 favorite things (not necessarily in this order):

1. Nature
    2. Talking to God
    3. My children

I love the peace that ice fishing offers…now if only I could make a living doing it.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Ice fishing involves my 3 favorite things (not necessarily in this order):

1. Nature
    2. Talking to God
    3. My children

And not your wife?

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i guess for me, its the fact that i can go out and sit in my shack and be totally at peace, i have 7 kids (6 girls and 1 boy ) my son is 13 and loves to fish and i truely have to say my son is my fishing partner , i rarely ever go without him … my girls arent into it that much …but fishing period gives me and my boy a window of peace ….. theres times when were in the shack and 1-2 hours would go buy with not a word said , just deep thought waiting for the bobber to sink …..gotta love it . but a majority of the time we have good convo…..

da-z-man

I agree with Glenn 100%- I don’t drink and fish either. Well, OK I admit it,a Mountain Dew or 4. I absolutely love the solitude of sitting in my shanty alone, or with my dad. After living in Kansas City, MO for several years, I moved back here last year, and I really enjoy spending time with him, he is 64 now, and not going to be here forever. My son is 3 years old now, and I am going to start taking him soon.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I agree with Glenn 100%- I don’t drink and fish either.

I don’t disagree with the drinking either. I was simply observing what these guys do when they ice fish. I’m into snowmobiling, same thing, many out there drinking.

I don’t think I’ll get into ice fishing. Its more work getting set up and taking down than open water fishing. It was fun, it seems easier to put the boat in for a few hours after work than to go ice fishing. However, I hate hot weather. But everyone has their interests.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.