Ice Shacks

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I haven`t ice fished in years and been thinking about getting back into it.

I was reading a few other posts about one and two man flip over shacks and how they pull over the ice. Is there really that big of difference in how hard they pull? Or does manufacture make a diffference on how they pull? What are the things that are a MUST have in shack design? Any other things you look for in flip over shacks?

What size auger do you prefer for all around fishing 6″ 8″ 10″? Is bigger better as far as hole size. I would definatly go with a power auger.

THANKS
    Tom

jhalfen

Tom, now’s the time to buy as stores go through their seasonal closeouts.

Now as you read this, understand that my preferred method of winter fishing is bobbing for saugs and eyes on P4 and P5. When forced to ice fish, however, I use the following:

8″ power auger. NO need to go bigger (could give you or a guest a really wet leg if you put your foot dowen a 10″ hole).

2-man flip-over shack. We have the Scheels house brand and we’re pretty satisfied, for as often as we use it. It’s big enough for 2, almost big enough for 3, and one person can load it into the back of the pickup.

Won’t be long until we can forget about ice for another year and start bothering Dean regularly once again!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I like the ease of a flip over shack for set up and, I can haul a load of equipment in it. I use an otter medium cabin and one of my favorite features on it is the padded bench seat. It is very sturdy and I can fish 1-2 or even 3 guys out of it. If I fish by myself I can position myself anywhere I want. And it flips up so you can store your gear under it in the sled.

I fish almost exclusively the back waters of the Mississippi River out of Prairie du Chien Pool 10. I have a Lazer 6″ hand auger and a Lazer Mag 6″ power auger. I have pulled some real nice fish out of these holes and in the middle of winter when the ice is 12″ think it’s a breeze poppin 20 holes if needed.

Good luck and have fun in your search for the equipment.One more thing when your looking for an ice house…if your mostly pullin it by hand, check out the total weight of the complete unit, because it is no fun pulling a cast iron tub thru 2 feet of snow,because the important thing is that you get a good wind break to keep you comfortable.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Good Questions!

I use the strikemaster strike lite. I love the auger…super light, and really fast! It is an eight inch, which I think is about the perfect “all around” auger size.

Shacks: Pulling them…I have found no matter what brand of shack I have owned, they always pull easier if you add hyfax to the bottom of the tub. Also the hyfax protects the tub against damage. If you were to go over pavement/sand/ or any rough area, the abuse goes to the hyfax instead of the tub.

I have the yukon and so far I love it. It pulls super easy with the hyfax on it. There really are a lot of great shack companies out there. I would buy, otter, clam, or frabill. I have owned or fished out of all of them, and those three are at the top of my list.

Things I look for:

pole design- how will the poles slide? Get in the shacks and test this out. Remember though, they will act different in frigid cold- so if they don’t glide nicely in the store, they probably won’t do any better in the cold.

tent fabric- is it sturdy, and or heavy duty? Will it take a beating?

doors/windows- is the door easy to operate? is it big enough/tall enough? Are the windows where I want them?

seats- are they permanent or can I take them out? Do they swivel? How comfortable are they, or more importantly, will my back hurt after sitting in this chair for a weekend?

accessories- what kind of accessories do they offer? (Covers, hitches, replacement poles, Patching kits…)

These are just a few of the things I look at. I also look at how easy is it going to be to set up and possibly bank in? I like to hole hop a lot, but with the weather that we have had lately, I want to make sure I can get, and stay warm in a fish house.

Price and warranty are also good ones to research!!

Let us know if you have any other questions!!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Luke, covered pretty much it all.
    I personally have the Otter Resort,yep it is big and roomy! Had the Cabin and switched up to the Resort. There is a HUGE difference to trying to heat the two. And loading the Resort into a truck with 5 inches of lift..
    But fits nicely in the back of the Suburban takes all the room but is easy for a guy to laod and unload by himself..
    I prefer Canvas shelters over other materials due to its strength and durability.
    But I will warn you becareful folding these portables up the windows crack easy in the cold if you fold them over..
    I have yet run across this problem with the Resort for it seems the bigger they are the more room you have for the goodies and makes closing it up easier IMO!
    As for Augers go 8 inch
    I went from 8 to a 10 inch and now not only do I have to watch where I step but I have to make sure none of my gear or equipment goes down the huge hole..

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

NO need to go bigger (could give you or a guest a really wet leg if you put your foot dowen a 10″ hole).

Good point I never thought about that.

I take it the Hyfax can be added to any tub.

Is it better to have permenent seats?

Quote:

I also look at how easy is it going to be to set up and possibly bank in

What makes them easier to bank in?

When it`s windy how do you keep them in place?

Quote:

pole design- how will the poles slide? Get in the shacks and test this out. Remember though, they will act different in frigid cold- so if they don’t glide nicely in the store, they probably won’t do any better in the cold.

Something else I hadn`t thought of.

The Voices Of Experience

Thanks for all the input

I am sure I`ll have more questions yet

scottsteil
    Central MN

No matter what you get for a house, make sure you look at the quality construction of the “tub”. That is the part that is going to haul all your gear. If you always pull the house by hand on small lakes consider getting a lighter tub. If you use an ATV or fish bigger lakes, get a heavy duty tub for sure.

I run Otter houses this year and have been extremenly happy with them. I have a big Lodge and a medium Cabin, both are great houses and do everything I need them to do

da-z-man

Suitcase styles pull like a bear on snow covered lakes- on just ice though, they pull nice. I bought a Fish Trap Pro one man, and it pulls nice. (now I am trying to sell it after 2 uses)

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Lots of good advice above. A lot of the IDA staff use Otter houses. If you click the link it will take you to the specs and other attributes of the Otter houses. Then it is a question of how you fish. If you plan to pull it, and fish alone, the cabin, or the Wilderness Series are lighter options. For comfort and self containment of all your gear, the Lodge that I use gets the nod. Otters use square tubing, eliminating kinking or binding. If you have any questions in particular, PM me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.