Disgusted

• herb
    6ft under

Agreed Bret. I think in the mix of reading all the posts I missed the intent of the post that started this thread.
    Sorry to hijack it Mike.
    Take it easy on us old guys though please, we sometimes get brain farts.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You didn’t hi-jack the thread Herb
    I think the questions you posed were good questions and do follow the intent of the thread
    In one of my earlier posts I mentioned not throwing “exotics” back. What I should have said is the occasional fish that is caught that was once an aqarium fish that people decide to put in a lake or river. Everry few years somebody catches a fish on Lake Onalaska that resembles a piranha. I can’t remember what the actual name of the fish is, but there have been a few caught and brought to the bait shop for pics.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The fish is a Pacu. They have been caught in the black river also

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Quote:

The fish is a Pacu

Bless you!!

Ed

herb
    6ft under

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

im very mad to here about that…

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

Looks like guilty until proven innocent to me.

smaders06

even if it is a shep head like luke said they are a great fight if they are big even if they wouldnt be a great fight who would gdo that anyway.

Art

Amen Jack. If memory serves me right we are the age group that started and pushed catch and release and a lot of other fishing regs. that to me has improved fishing. There are bad sportsmen in every age group, sorry to see this happen but don’t get on us guys that have worked all our lives to try and improve fishing.

bigpike

I find the same thing when I go to LOTW or Millelacs, eelpout are discarded all over the ice like yesterdays trash, this is a native fish and they are good to eat….

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

Really?
    Mostly old timers fishing that day.
    Dead fish laying on ice.
    Old timers must of done it.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a buddy who was out there the day that happened. He said it was a father/son duo. It sounds like the dad must have been in his 40’s or so. So not that old.

I don’t know if any of you guys have ever went over to Winnebago, but it’s terrible there. Most of the locals rip the gills out of every sheephead they catch (especially on the upper lakes). In the early summer, you can’t drive your boat 10 yards without smearing dead sheephead on it. I don’t kill any sheeps, I love the looks in all my buddies eyes when they think they have a 10lb eye on a crank and it’s a big old silver dollar. I do however believe in sheephead colored crankbaits and spinner blades.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will apologize for that statement. I did make an unfair assumption that I shouldn’t have.
    It could have been anybody that did that. Still a waste though

krisko
    Durand, WI

I hate sheepies just as much as the next guy…but it is always catch and release… I have seen this a lot lately. I even was out on a lake and saw nice perch on the ice someone had left…I had overheard that they were “wormy” that was their reasoning….

Art

No problem Mike. It would have made me very mad too.

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

People throwing roughfish on shore bothers me but not even close to what a i saw today. Fishing a local lake i saw two carppies very nice size 11 and 10 inches frozen up on the ice. No one around them or anything. THe person may have forgot about them but i dont really know.

JOHNYUTAH

you want to be disgusted dont worry about if theres just a few dead sheephead on the ice which i agree is wrong and let them go unless you eat them. how about to many guys going there and keeping 7 inch crappies or 6 inch bluegills are hurting the fish population more than a few dead sheephead on the ice. so if you want small fish I hope you know that in the years to come there wont be big fish in the waters and only little “slab” swimming around

eyebuster
    Duluth

As bad as I feel when they do that It is there right to be able to keep what ever they want until there is a slot limit we can not do anything about it. But it is illegal to leave anyfish on the ice!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Jonny,
    All your post make me believe you are POed at the world All 3 of them. The other night I had crappies slamming a little cecil to the gills, I wasn’t about to pitch these fish back in the hole just to float below the ice or change the jig that was producing some nice gills. Yep, I kept a fish fry!
    I don’t think there are near the numbers of small fish leaving the ice as there were years ago. People are becoming more conscience of the resource and I don’t see it being killed off as you would want to believe. Many of the areas I fish have been producing a nice year class of Perch, Crappies and gills. I see things headed in the right direction.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Agree with ya eyebuster!
    Also Just to bring this up again last year I found out that as long as the water is cold sheepies taste good…….Don’t believe me? Try it some time!
    I just don’t tell anyone what they are eating and they like the walleye!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The 1 day I went to that community hole known as the Black River beach I didn’t catch a thing. Also, there is nothing wrong with people taking smaller panfish out of the system. The river system has more fish in there than you may realize. This area isn’t a small pond that relies on a few fish to keep the population going. I prefer to NOT keep the biggest fish in hopes of letting them do their thing in the spring. Keeping 8-10″ crappies to me is better than keeping the 14″ fish.

JOHNYUTAH

Yah your “community hole” use to be alot better. I use to fish there alot. I would go home with my share of fish. But once the word got out on IDA it went down hill. given theres fish out there but when lot of people clean house on them and theres a shanty town it doesnt make it “fun” i know everyone has all rights to go but I would of liked to see it if people would have ventured out on there own or by word of mouth. Thats the way it use to be out there. Everyone knew everyone and could shoot the sh*t with anyone out there but when I go there now its just not the same. Now I still hit my honey hole all the time but when I want to hit up plan “B” I realy dont want to.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m not sure it is just because of IDA. The area is seen from a mile away on a main HWY. That area was a shanty town long before I even seen it mentioned on this site

Very rarely is an exact location even given from most reporters. Most reports are what is working and the type of area the fish have been found in and a vague location such as, pool 8. Anyone who can read a map can find such areas themselves. The La Crosse community is a large population, when the area you are fishing can be seen from the road, expect company. I have seen all the community holes grow by leaps and bounds in the last 35 years. I don’t see it as IDA killed any honey holes. Greed kills honey holes. As I mentioned earlier, I believe things are getting better now days. Most people (not all) are getting to be more respectful of the resources the river provides. Keeping a few small fish is not going to kill the river. Keeping nothing but large breeders will hurt the system more in my opinion.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well Johny…Again..What gives you the idea this happened on IDA…..
    95% of the time these guys are talking about spots that have been well known for many years……
    I myself have been fishing the river here for over 35 years and a true “secret” spot is hard to find..
    If your talking about the French Island black river beach area….It’s kinda hard to NOT notice 20 cars parked out there.I fished that spot LONG before I read anything about it here.
    IDA can’t be blamed for that.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Exactly That spot has had people fishing there for the 14 years that I have lived here. There has always been a fairly decent crowd and will continue to have that. Like the others have stated, in the Pool 8 area, there are no “secret” spota whether it be by boat, ice, or from shore. IDA nor the reporters had anything to do with the rise in company to “your” spot. Ice fishing has and always will be a growing sport. With growth comes company.
    We are all sorry to see you are frustrated but you are going to have to accept that and keep fishing and enjoy it, or move on to a more solitary sport. Taking your frustrations out here will do nothing for you in the long run. Just by being here, you have the opportunity to meet some great guys and also fish with some great people. But, coming on here with your first post and blasting IDA and the people on here does not show your best colors

JOHNYUTAH

Yah I know anyone can see that from the interstate. Before this year when was the last time you saw that many shanties out there besides 1 day last year. Uhm yah no one every went out there untill I saw the post on here. Then next thing you know everyones there. Not mad but just disapointed. And you say people knew about that spot is an understatement because everyone knew about it. But the funny thing was about that spot is I would go there from time to time and it was always the same people 5 at the most and knew them all good. Now after the post I dont know anyone but thats fine. So I say to the guys who just read this and dont talk thanks alot. Have fun and just treat people out there with class and dont yell at some random person if you hoping from hole to hole and someone takes on just let them have it cause your not there and they want to be and I know if its you you know who you are. other wise I hope everyone has fun.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Please tell me the post in question where you saw people talking about it. I must have missed it, seriously

JOHNYUTAH

I could do this all day long with you but you know Im done with this ill be the bigger man and just drop it.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Please tell me the post in question where you saw people talking about it. I must have missed it, seriously

I agree Wats…….I have been going out to that area every day (just about) all winter-it’s close to home…..anyone driving down fisherman’s road for the past 2 months could see it was being fished hard and I never once seen a mention of it until you started this thread – even then you never said anything about the actual fishing…just the mess people left.
    Johny…..you still seem to be blaming all this bad behaviour on IDA members here…..
    Why???

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.