Disgusted

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I went to the Black River beach area this morning looking for a few fish. The first thing I noticed upon arriving to the location where everybody is fishing is the amount of fish left on the ice I honestly can’t tell you how many sheephead of all sizes were thrown on the ice to die Granted, these are rough fish, but come on!!! Why not throw them back? Not to stereotype, but the majority of the fisherman there were retirement aged guys. Is this customary or acceptable with this age class of people? I was going to take a pic, but with all the guys there I didn’t. Not sure if I will fish there again anytime soon with that kind of company

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I agree guy……no need for that stuff…

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Old schoolers!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Not a good thing the hear or a way for anyone who calls them selves a sportsman to act
    I might have to get there and try to ice a few myself. I would like some to pickle, not to waste. If I see it being done I may have to hand out a good butt chewing also

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Eventually those fish will get eaten, by something. I dont find it unacceptable, it IS a sheephead.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I dont find it unacceptable, it IS a sheephead.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Eventually those fish will get eaten, by something. I dont find it unacceptable, it IS a sheephead.

It is also against the law.

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

I myself was disgusted this evening as well. I was fishing at Dresbach and somebody left several bluegills and dink crappies laying on the ice and it was obvious they had been there awhile. What kind of jackasses do things like this?

VikeFan

Funny how I knew what this post was going to be about before I ever opened it…

I see this sort of thing way too often. Bluegill, some of them nice-sized, left for the crows to pick at on the ice. If you don’t want to clean them, throw them back.

As for sheepshead left to rot, I don’t get this activity, either. Sheepshead are native fish who do no harm and belong here. They are a valuable forage fish, and also help keep zebra mussells in check. I don’t like to eat them, but I do not leave them on the bank to rot.

When I lived in Winona I didn’t own a boat, so I was restricted to shore-fishing during open water. Few things could ruin a day of fishing from the bank like a pile of sheepshead rotting in the sun. A lot of people still think that because sheepshead don’t taste good, they should be left as crow-bait. This attitude is stupid, IMHO. It is also illegal.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Ben-A couple years ago there were perch thrown on the ice as well Some of them were eater sized too. It sure is a waste and a sad sight

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

I agree with Mike and Brett. It even though i dont eat sheepshead our carp our redhorse there are still fun to catch. They put up one heck of a fight. People below the damn in Neshonoc throw sheepshead and carp on the shore all the time. Its pretty disgusting.

Luke

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

That sucks! Sheephead are a great fight and a fun fish to catch.. Why not let them back to fight another day like any other game fish.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

A lot of people still think that because sheepshead don’t taste good, they should be left as crow-bait. .

I’m actually looking forward to trying Sheephead this summer. I’ve heard the smaller ones are actually really good eating.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I’ll never try to eat one, but I’ll agree on the fight. A sheeper over ten pounds is bound to be an epic battle, sometimes I fish for ’em on purpose. I’ve got a whole tray of ugly purple cranks dedicated solely to ridin’ the range!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

the majority of the fisherman there were retirement aged guys. Is this customary or acceptable with this age class of people?

the answer is NO.
    Jack.. in (this age class)

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

OK—someone tell me….what should you do with carp if you don’t want to smoke them? Aren’t they a rough fish and aren’t you supposed to remove them? Seriously, I don’t know this.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Aren’t they a rough fish and aren’t you supposed to remove them

Any fish you catch that you do not intend to use, must be returned to the water. Exotic fish SHOULD be removed from the system. Even the lowly dogfish should not be thrown on the bank.

Jack-I did not mean any disrespect toward the retired guys or close to retirement Just saying most of the guys that were there were 50+ and they are there most everyday in the same spot.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Sheephead are actually a very tasty fish. I you clean them properly. You have to cut the mud lines out of them. If you get a really big one and cut the strips of meat along the top of the fish (I call them back straps) boil them or microwave them and pour hot melted butter over them. I doesn’t get any better than that.

cb2
    Bemidji, MN

If you KEEP and CLEAN the sheephead (Big emphasis on the keep and clean part), besides the meat, in the head there are things called j-stones. i have a bunch somewhere i will try and get a picture on here.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

It is just pure unsportsman like on there part.
    And when you mention perch,gills,crappies it just really gets the old fire burning under my rear..
    I think there AARP cards should be taken away from these violaters…

cb2
    Bemidji, MN

your rear? sorry i know the people are making you mad, people like that make me pissed off too, but coming from you it sounds funny.

VikeFan

I ate some sheepshead when I was a kid–I didn’t care for it. Some people do like them in the pan, but I am not one of them.

I agree, though, that even though they can be a nuisance when walleye fishing, sheepshead put up a good fight. Sheepies have saved some otherwise slow days on the water.

I don’t know about Wisconsin, but in Minnesota it is illegal to leave fish parts on the bank, regardless of what sort of fish they came from. Also, there is no law on the books in MN saying one must remove “rough fish” from the water in which they are caught.

Sheepshead, again, are not a harmful exotic like carp–removing sheepshead for the sake of removing them serves no good purpose. Carp are a different story, but they are so well-established in North America that killing every carp caught will not get rid of them.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Aren’t they a rough fish and aren’t you supposed to remove them

Any fish you catch that you do not intend to use, must be returned to the water. Exotic fish SHOULD be removed from the system. Even the lowly dogfish should not be thrown on the bank.

Jack-I did not mean any disrespect toward the retired guys or close to retirement Just saying most of the guys that were there were 50+ and they are there most everyday in the same spot.

This reminds me of two inccidents from a few years ago involving the dogfish. The first time, I was fishing a spot clearly visible from the road. I caught a doggy, about 24″ long, and 2 guys pulled over on the road, got out, and pulled out a knife and told me that it needed to be killed. The stabbed it several times before throwing it into the bushes I felt bad for the fish and was pretty angry that they just came up and did their business with MY fish that I would have released.
    Another time, I was fishing at the bridge in goose island during some road construction. I caught a monster dog, I mean it must have been 35″ Long on a popper. Man was that a fight! Anyway, all the construction guys told me i needed to throw it away on shore. I rested it on a rock near the water, but still out of the water so they would have their “satisfaction” …when they weren’t looking, I slipped it back into the water and it swam away fine. I never understand why people want to kill these fish. They are all in the river for a reason!

herb
    6ft under

Just a comment followed by a question;
    I’ll eat sheephead from the river if taken in cold water. Properly taken care of and prepared they are tasty.
    And they are a native species. Carp are not.
    Now for the question, What do you proposed to do with if and when (the time will come) you start catching snakehead and big head carp either on the ice or open water? Will you put those back?
    I’m sure you all have read of the detrimental effect these fish pose to the native species in our rivers and lakes.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

In the case you mentioned Herb, Fertilizer for the garden I will not throw fish on the ice or bank to rot away. It just is not healthy in my eyes.
    As far as the sheepies or other rough fish for that matter being left on the ice or tossed to the bank –
    – 1-800-TIP-WDNR (1-800-847-9367);
    #367 by cellular (free for U.S. Cellular customers)
    This is saved on my cell phone and in a case like this I would not have a problem making the call

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

In the past it was illegal to return rough fish to the water. It IS legal to return rough fish now IF caught with hook and line. If taken with a Bow or spear they should be taken home and buried. (they work great in the garden) You are not suppose to leave fish or entrails on the bank. That’s according to Wi DNR fishing Regs.

I have no problem if people don’t throw them back as long as they a disposed of properly. Leaving them on shore or the ice is illegal and bad for the sport.

Whatsa.

herb
    6ft under

Bret, I really meant to ask if anyone would put those snakeheads and bigheads back in the water if caught. I think when they finally get here it will be unlawfull to do so.
    I remember many years ago in Iowa it was against the law for sportfishers to return to the water any rough fish taken by legal means.
    But at the same time it was against the law to leave them on the bank. Taking them home was preffered and you could also bury them. Not sure if this rule still applies.

herb
    6ft under

I think we were typing at the same time whatsa

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Herb,
    If it is a fish that is on the harmful species list I would do as I said above, garden food. Fish that are tossed to the bank or left behind on the ice just are not appealing to me
    To me it is no different than when the WI crow season opened. You must take them with you and make use of them. The DNR does not care if you make them fertilizer or not. Just make sure to remove them and not leave them laying around.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.