Frabil or Other brand shanties?

• dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

I was woundering if maybe i could get a few comments on what should I get because i was planning on getting a shantie but something within my cost so if you can give me some info…

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

what is your price range and how many people will you be accomadating? 1,2,3??

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

When purchasing a shanty there are a few things to keep in mind. The group I fish with all have a one man. The one man is more mobile being they are lighter and easier to pull when having to make a long haul. With all of us having a one man it makes it great for splitting up when having to go in search of a bite. For the one man I would recommend the Clam fish trap pro. I have the scout and there is not the room the pro offers. I also like the front zipper door on the pro even though it is a flip over. I makes it nice to exit the shanty without opening it up all the way and loosing all the heat.

As far as the 2 man shanty, I will have to leave that to someone else to chime in. I’m sure you will get other ideas for the one man shanty also as it is personal preference.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have a 2 man and love it..Bret definitely made some good points, if you are fishing more mobile and all, a petite 1 man flip over is awesome. I like to stay mobile, but often have other people with me…They don’t own shanties so it is just more practical for me to have a 2 man. If you are looking at getting a two man, I suggest the Frabill Trekker. I almost bought a scout, but looked at the price of the trekker which is about 80 bucks more, and went with it. I think it was worth it, because I have got a lot of use out of it already and it’s nice to have your best bud sitting right next to you Another thing that convinced me was the fact that you can always take the second seat out and fish in there by yourself, but with a 1 man, you can’t add a seat and bring someone in

Good luck

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

You have probably already figured out your shack situation but I will still give you my take. The 1-person works great because it is light weight and when making longer trips definitely packs easier. Depending on your vehicle you have to be careful when buying a 2-person to make sure it will fit (for example trailbazer type SUV). I use a 2-person because just lake Cade I often have someone along but I will be getting an additional 1-person at some time. I have an Eskimo brand shack and one advantage is that these seem to run a little cheaper from what I have seen. These are made in Cumberland, WI. They use to have an outlet store (country store) in cumberland that would sell discounted shacks but I think they now sell them on e-bay.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

BTW, farm and fleet had a sale on ice-fishing gear which included ice shacks. Good luck shopping.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.