Day Trip Ideas (2 hours from Cedar Rapids)

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

I’m thinking of blowing off work this Wednesday and spending the day out on the ice.

So, oh wise, well-traveled members and staff of the IDA portal , steer an over-worked and under-fished compadre towards a public body of water within 2 hours of Cedar Rapids that with luck, may yield a bucket of slab crappies or bull gills for this poor excuse of a fisherman!

Seriously, any ideas on a decent place to go within 2 hours of CR for a day trip are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

You might give Otter Creek lake a try Joe. Its NE of Toledo 5-6 miles and probably only an hours drive.

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Just an Fyi” No Atv’s on Otter Creek.

I went out to Otter on Friday, very few tracks across the lake. I opted not to drag my Portable out looked like a 1″ of snow or more.

I drove by Union Grove to also learn No Atv’s saw a few Ice Houses on the lake: No Report.

Barb

IceJohn

Farm ponds in southern Ia.We did good in Bloomfield area 2+hr. drive ,but well worth it.ICE JOHN TEAM ICEHEAD

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Joe,

If it were me I’d drive over to Green Island and fish either Browns or back in Saw Mill. Saw Mill is part of the Green Island project and Browns is adjacent to the project. You can’t use ATV’s on the dikes except where marked but you can use them anywhere on the ice. I would suggest having an ATV as both are long walks without one. I have walked to these spots many times and every time I was wishing I had an ATV. Green Island is between Bellevue and Sabula. I did hear that fish have been biting in both locations. The Bellevue bait shops should have maps of the area. Browns is one of the lakes that had channels dredged in it probably 20 years ago and these channels are shown on the map.

Eyehunter

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Wednesday?

I suggest you hop on a plane and land at LAX around 8PM, go out for a nice dinner, and have a martini. That way you can reschedule your fishing trip for a day when I can go with.

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Yeah we could get a great Seafood Dinner or Vegas seafood buffet….

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

After today I’m better off in LA.

Have fun, I’ll drink a martini for the both of you.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Gianni, uncle Rocky works in strange ways, you will get your way-trip is rescheduled…

Nonetheless, thanks for all the ideas everyone! They’ll have to wait a few days since JoJo ain’t going no-where this Wednesday ‘cept hopping on a jet at 6:30am and going to Atlanta, GA

I was greeted by email this morning at the office that my presence was required in the Peach state. Godspeed I should be back by Thursday night.

So bring on the fried chicken, black-eyed peas and pile up the biscuits and gravy! Georgia, here I come!

Gianni…we shall coordinate a possible expedition in the near future.

Saw the obituary, that sux big time dude-for me too! …I was just telling Rugby yesterday how awesome your buddy was; how he could of literally make rat cheese out of the borrow pit we were fishing in no time, as my arms strained drilling into 18″ of thick ice on dulling blades. I hope the eulogy made mention of last Saturday’s excursion, definately a high point in his storied career-out there in the -20 degree temps with the -40 degree windchill; how he admirably came to life in those utterly Siberian conditions and never missed a beat for us.

Joe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.