Pool 8, Tough Bite

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Thursday after work (2/8/07) Mike C and I went to see if we could find a night time crappie bite. 20 minutes before dark we started picking up some fish. 4 keepers hit the ice before dark and after dark, the bite died We made a move and found some small crappies still biting but nothing worth our time. The nicer crappies were suspended in 12fow and liked the perch colored Mini Mert with a minnow head.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Saturday was a day of work but the decision was made for Sunday to see if the perch were still biting. We ended up with a good crew on the ice, JP Mason, Mike C, Mike Watson and myself were on the ice by 6:30am. We were later joined by Cade, Justin, Cade’s dad and uncle and jimbob and friends. The perch were still there but wanted nothing to do with our offerings Mike C and Wats each caught a nice perch and that was it for the perch bite. The one thing we did find, pike liking the perch baits, Mike Watson and myself stuck a pike, and Cade’s uncle caught a nice pike. It made for fun on the jig sticks. All in all it was a fun day, it was great to do some fishing with the crew and meeting some new people. Maybe next time the fish will join the party Cade and his bunch were moving to try an other area when I left for home. Hope you found some cooperating fish Cade

Bret

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Snot Rocket on 2#

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Cade and his uncle with a nice Pikecaught on a jig stick

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Bret, It was very nice meeting you again, and nice to meet you guys too- JP Mason and Mike C.
    It sure is too bad they weren’t cooperating at spot no. 1, but they sure were in there. I was marking a lot of fish on the flasher, but after trying everything: waxies, chena bait, red spikes, full minnows, minnow heads and plastic with absolutly nothing to show, It was obvious that there were better places to try My dad and uncle wanted to fish lake Onalaska So Justin and I spent a little over an hour in the truck waiting for them to finally decide that the bite was “slow”…one guy said they had been out for more hours than the number of fish they caught So we finally headed back into La Crosse and down to one of the local crappie holes I have been hitting. It was slow at first but I still managed to ice a couple 11″ crappies while hole hopping with a sweedish pimple. On my hole hopping route, I also managed to run into a 10 inch walleye, my first walleye ever on a jig stick through the ice (my 7.9 was on a tip up ) and I also caught a dandy 9″ gill on the pimple. Around 5, I discovered that I had to put down the pimple and pick up a small horizontal jig with a white split tail plastic to stay on fish. I iced several more real nice fish including one around 11-1/2 inches. It proved to be a good bite at the end, but I didn’t get to stay out as long as I wanted. Preferably, I would still be on the ice at this time rather than typing But all in all, it wasn’t all that bad of a day. I could have kept around a dozen nice crappies.
    Once again, nice to see everyone and thank you for letting me join the gang!

-Cade

jld
    Holmen

Iy was nice to see you again Cade, I could tell you guys wanted nothing to do with being on Lake Onalaska when we bumped into each other. I fished a spot in the morning on the other side of Lake Onalaska that I hadn’t visited in a couple of years. I ended up with a few nice perch for my efforts but I basically had the whole area to myself which was a nice quiet change. I followed Cade to the south side and my son and I caught a few crappies but I lost something pretty large near the hole, which I assumed was a northern. Saturday I fished at Dresbach in the morning and things were very slow. I made it out before daylight hoping to ambush a few walleyes and saugers but ended my day with one little sauger. Plenty of ice; the short wall had about 8″‘s and as you moved out along the long wall there had to be at least a foot. It was nice to finally wake up this morning and fish when it wasn’t below zero hopefully the fish will start to cooperate a little more.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Iy was nice to see you again Cade, I could tell you guys wanted nothing to do with being on Lake Onalaska when we bumped into each other.

Yeah, I got out of the truck long enough to drop the marcum in the hole for about 2 minutes, drop a line down, and then realize that there were no fish in the area We either sat in the truck or messed around seeing how many times it would take to get thru the ice with the spud Justin and I took turns and we were well over a hundred hits and still didn’t make it through as the ice chips and snow were limiting how much ice we actually chopped each hit. It was nice that we got to get back out on the south side, but I think I could have easily got my limit If we would have started in that other area though today

eyebuster
    Duluth

Good looking fish

Had similar results to your thursday outing last night on pool 7. could not get them to bite until 5 then for the next hour it was solid crappie catchin. ended up with 8 and a 5 lb northern on 2lb test.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.