Willow River Park OR Lake Mallalieu

• jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Anybody been fishing at Willow River Park or Lake Mallalieu. If so, could you give a few hints on were to try. I want to go fishing tommorrow afternoon with my 6 year old son, so I want to stay close to Hudson/River Falls
    just in case we get cold.
    Thanks.

buck-slayer

Alot of people fish out in front of the swimming beach, I have never ice-fished on the willow but you can catch sunnies and crappies there ,also try just out from boat launch I have seen guys fish there too.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

just go out from the beach… that entire area is packed with perch. No size to them but should be fun for a 6 year old. You might also want to set up a few tipups as there are a few pike that roam that area.

If you’re after one-after-another catches, that’s the place to go. If you’re after putting a few in the bucket for the fryer, you’ll be disappointed. There are no big panfish out there anymore

As for Mallalieu, I haven’t been out there this winter. Tried it a few times last winter with very little luck. The fish population just hasn’t recovered from the draw-down the DNR did a few years ago…

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Just got back from Willow River. No luck. But we had a good time. My son just loves to go fishing with dad and being outside.
    Saw several other fish houses out but don’t know if they were having any luck.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

hard to believe you didn’t catch anything out there! If you stay in 8-10 feet off the beach, a small jig tipped with waxies – pound the bottom a few times to call ’em in… usually a feeding frenzy with the little dinkers. Same holds true off the boat landing area…

I won’t go out there anymore because I can’t afford to feed those small perch all my waxies!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.