freezing holes…..

• whiskeyandwater
    ????

ok question for you guys…. I was at a bait shop this weekend, and over heard a guy talking abut how he stops his holes from freezing by adding Bacardi 151 to water once he has the hole ready to go. Now I use to bartend and I know Bacardi 151 will float on most liquids because it’s lighter and hence you get a lot of your flaming drinks. But has anyone ever heard of this? I would imagine the best case scenario is it would add a little cinnamon flavor to your fish assuming they weren’t too drunk to bite.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I dont know if it would work or not, I am sure it would assure death to any fish coming through that hole. I have no doubt alcohol would break down the slime, and has to be rough on the gills.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

From what I have heard it really doesn’t work. What a waste of Bacardi

John

whiskeyandwater
    ????

alright so I’m not the only one that would have looked at him, like he was crazy?!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve read all sorts of remedies to keep holes from freezing over from putting alcohol in the hole to spraying Pam on the hole. I have a friend that swears that spraying WD-40 on his holes will keep them from freezing over. The same guy swears that you can use WD-40 as a fish attractant. Maybe he owns stock in the WD-40 company.

Eyehunter

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I remember reading once (and I’m sure someone here on IDA might even know how to put it together), some how a coil of copper tubing in a coffee can with charcoal will keep a hole open. By lighting the charcoal and heating the can the water is drawn up through the tube and returned back into the hole.
    Anyone else seen, heard, or have the plans?

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I’ve heard of doing the same thing with vegetable oil

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

Not sure that adding WD40 to water is a good idea not matter what it does for your ice holes… call me crazy

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

“Bacardi 151 will float on most liquids because it’s lighter and hence you get a lot of your flaming drinks.”
    Maybe he is “cooking” his catch as soon as they are caught. Never heard of this tactic before.

the_grump
    Le Center

I think you misunderstood the whole 151 thing, if you drink it it will not matter if youre hole freezes, either will anything else

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

About 10 years ago. I was vacationing with my family in Ohio. We went to Bass Lake near Wright Pat Air Force Base for some catfishing. Anyway there was this old timer there and he was spraying WD-40 on the gob of crawlers he was using and well I had a hot stick catching 10 fish ranging between 10-20lbs in the first coulpe of hours. The WD-40 man outfished me about 3 to 1 in that time period. It was working for him on that lake that night. Only time I have ever seen or heard of it.

col._klink
    St Paul

Come on guys Wd-40 and preperation H are all old timers tricks……….Pam on your holes and rod eyes………spitting copenhagen on your minnowhead! You guys have neve heard any of this before?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

fished in sub zero temperatures today, and it was not hard to keep my hole open with the use of a nice invention called a skimmer

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Not sure if the Barcadi would work but if I tried it my fishing buddies would be drinking from the hole all the time like my pup!!!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

if it’s cold enoughI can’t say I blame them

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

From what I have heard it really doesn’t work. What a waste of Bacardi

John

fishing_4food
    Central Michigan

Here is a quick chemistry lesson for you all; Alcohol has an extremely low freezing point due to the bonding distance that holds each individual molecule together. Once applied to an open whole the air or outside temp could never freeze it over. We all now that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit an equivalent to 0 degrees Celsius, Pure alcohol would freeze at a temp of about -114 degrees Celsius which comes in at a bone chilling -173 degrees below zero. I think if it was this cold, hell has started to freeze over and the Detroit Loins win a Supper Bowl

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

If your buddies are drinking out of your holes. I think you have a whole new set of issues to worry about.

I would also think we will need another thread to deal with that. Maybe even a new forum.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

if that is the case about alcaholbeing it not only floats on water, and frezes at such a low temp, I wonder if rubbing alcahol would work better and allow us to drink the 151? (puls rubbing alcahol is cheper) it is an interesting though and it might just be worth a try sometime!
    just my .02

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I remember reading once (and I’m sure someone here on IDA might even know how to put it together), some how a coil of copper tubing in a coffee can with charcoal will keep a hole open. By lighting the charcoal and heating the can the water is drawn up through the tube and returned back into the hole.
    Anyone else seen, heard, or have the plans?

This does work. Capillary action draws the water into and through the tubes ands is heated by the charcoal fire. The water is then dumped back into the ice hole keeping it from freezing. This is an old timers trick.

On a side note, I would be very wary about dumping various liquids into the water to keep it from freezing. Who knows what effect it might have on the fish and is illegal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

WD-40 has shark oil in it, and it lubes your rap’s. I know that about 20 years ago, I heard about people putting windshield washer fluid in their holes… YUCK !!! Not good for the lake either. I am guessing alcohol would work that way too. I have a Hole E Molee I forgot all about, until now. I need to try that thing. Would have been nice to have out there last saturday

big g

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Here is a quick chemistry lesson for you all; Alcohol has an extremely low freezing point due to the bonding distance that holds each individual molecule together. Once applied to an open whole the air or outside temp could never freeze it over. We all now that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit an equivalent to 0 degrees Celsius, Pure alcohol would freeze at a temp of about -114 degrees Celsius which comes in at a bone chilling -173 degrees below zero. I think if it was this cold, hell has started to freeze over and the Detroit Loins win a Supper Bowl

Another chemistry lesson: Alcohol and water are miscible, which basically means that alcohol is soluble in water in any proportions. So, while it may float for a bit, any disturbance (i.e. pulling up a fish) will mix the alcohol and water and dilute the alcohol to a point that it won’t make any difference.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

wow I need to watch how much I am drinking when I make my posts on here either that or reread them more often

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.