Crappie Tactics

• kruger
    Metro,mn

What are some of everybodys favorit cappie tactics I think I need to sharpen up a little bit. Thanks Kruger

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Hey neighbor, hole hoppin with remmies and cecils,stayin mobile

birddog
    Mn.

Ratso or Ratfinkee tipped with a waxie, size 10. This time of year finding the deepest holes works well for me.

BIRDDOG

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Smallest hammered silver Swedish Pimple and eurolarvae. I move a lot and fish fast for suspended fish over deep water during the middle of the day. Works great for me.

palisade1kid

I fished the same spot Sunday and today.
    The way I had to work the fish were totally different.
    On Sunday the fish that came through high wanted to feed.The fish that were closer to the bottom did not want to move an inch.Although I snagged 2 by dropping into them & they hit it on the fall.

Today nothing came through high but all of the ones in the pack which was about 4 feet thick just off of the bottom were active & would come to the top of the pack to hit the jig.

My friend did not change his tactics which had me with my limit before he figured it out and caught his first crappie.

I have been on the other end of that stick with him before where he figured out what they wanted well before I pulled out all of my hair trying to get them to hit the jig.

I guess the point is too remember how they reacted and pattern your moves to that reaction.
    Every day can be so different.
    Today was one of my best days on BSL for this winter.
    I caught over 40 crappies,kept some great eaters & laughed alot.
    The sun was out,so it warmed up a tad.
    Heres a few pics and a video to Ice Catchers.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Thanks for the great report keith those were some nice crappies how deep were you fishing??????

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Kruger~

Another thing you can do is watch the video IDO episode 2 if you have not already. Scott and James laid out some real good advice for fishing this time of year. And now that you have a camara you can use that to your advantage out there on the ice/water. But as stated above this time of year the fish are more apt to smaller portions when it comes to there meals. I am heading out tomorrow evening for some crappie action will be posting a report and will be using alot of the advice from James and Scott was giving in the video..

That is rootbeer my young grasshopper!!!

palisade1kid

Quote:

Thanks for the great report keith those were some nice crappies how deep were you fishing??????

the hole is 32 fow.
    I am just off of it in 29 .There is a hill to the north of me so I’ve tried to get at the bottom of the hill.
    Downsizing is what I’ve been talking about for the last few months.
    These fish are no where near as aggressive as they will be come late May or for the rest of the summer.
    Right now I am dropping my 80th’s or 100th oz jigs to them.

If you are using a locator ,you can see the fish come up to your offering.
    If they turn around and head for bottom,chances are you bait is too big.Just the fact that the fish raised should tell you that it wanted to feed,but when it saw the size it decided not to hit it for the lack of energy that fish had.
    Getting small will send the signal to the fish that this will be easy to eat.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Thanks Keith and Glenn for the input and Glenn I sure love rootbeer a lot , Grasshopper

walleye4
    On the Water

We use anything from 1/256 oz up to 1/4 oz here in Nebraska and Kansas. It really depends on what we are fishing, whether it is structure or a flat, I adjust accordingly. I like to use heavy jigs and spoons in open water and smaller ones in brush. If you have never used the Laker stickguards, get some! You will lose less jigs and have alot more fun too. You can get these either from Laker or BPS has them also.

palisade1kid

Quote:

We use anything from 1/256 oz up to 1/4 oz here in Nebraska and Kansas. It really depends on what we are fishing, whether it is structure or a flat, I adjust accordingly. I like to use heavy jigs and spoons in open water and smaller ones in brush. If you have never used the Laker stickguards, get some! You will lose less jigs and have alot more fun too. You can get these either from Laker or BPS has them also.

1/256 oh is that small!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.