Pool 8 Ice fishing Report-BRRRRR

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

What a frigid outing on pool 8 I had today. With temps peaking at about 0, it was pretty brutal making our way across the ice to where we were planning on fishing. Finally, the shanty was up and the heater was aflame. I promptly banked in the shanty with snow and sat down. By the time I had 1 fish on the ice, Justin had already iced 5 because I was dealing with other issues like frozen minnows in the bucket, banking the shanty in, and scooping out my ice holes. Finally I was able to settle in and get set up with my Lx-3 and aqua-vu camera. The fish were everywhere, and they were hungry! Justin and I proceeded to go through a lot of waxies, catching many crappies and a couple small bluegills. Unfortunately, the better fish didn’t turn on until about 2:30. We caught fish one after another all morning, but most crappies were running between 5-8″ long. After some cold scouting around with no shanty, we finally found the right area to put the shanty and started all over again. The crappies were still running small, but I finally got something on that felt like it would break my line at any moment. It turned out to be a nice perch, and gave a heck of a fight on my UL frabill panfish popper After that, Justin managed a nice perch, and I caught a few nice keeper crappies. It was a fun outting, despite all the obvious physical difficulty. Make sure to bring plenty of propane with you, we went through 2-1/4 tanks of propane over the course of a 6 hour period

some crappies on the camera

A keeper.

another nice keeper- sweedish pimple. We were talking about ish monro at the time of this catch and when I caught it, I wouldn’t stop yelling “come and getchya somma dat! Come and getchya somma dat!”

Perch!

Here is my perch (sorry for the bad quality cell phones…)

Good Luck on the ice!

Cade Laufenberg

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice report Cade

It was brutle when outside today JP Mason had his heater freeze up when we made a move today. The west wind was wippin’ pretty good at times, I can’t believe none of us took off like a kite.

earnit

nice post! I can’t get the pictures to come up. We actually talked about heading up to Stoddard today.

We ended up staying down here,going to a local spot. Pulled plenty of fish up the hole, but only 4 keepers. I was surprised they bit as well as they did, with the extreme cold!

I should head up to Stoddard sometime soon.

jld
    Holmen

It was tough out there today. Managed a couple of small perch but that was about it. I was hoping to maybe surprise a couple of walleye or saugers, but no such luck. The highlight of my day was getting to meet Wats, Bret Clark and Mike C on the ice. It was nice to meet you guys but a little chilly shooting the breeze, especially when that breeze is coming across open ice at a clip of -15 below. Hopefully the winds won’t be as bad in the morning and I can find some crappies and gills a little more cooperative. Good to talk with you fellas, I am sure we will bump into each other again out there.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It was nice to meet you as well Belgian Today was definitely not a very good day to talk outside It was brutal. I ended up with 3 perch, 1 northern that spit the jig at the hole, and about a 20″ walleye that broke the line

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Nice job Cade I ended up getting out late in the day. We ended up sight fishing some hog gills. They were very particular on what they wanted to eat but if you got it just right you had a pig on the ice. There were some absolute monsters swimming aroud our jigs but they just wouldnt take anything we showed them. I think we will try the other side of the river tomorrow.
    Maybe I’ll see you there and you can put me on some fish

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

are my pictures showing up correctly for others on their computer? They were working for me, then they weren’t, and now they are again. Just curious. Thanks,

Cade

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Good report Cade! Had the pics once now they’re gone

Art

No pics but good report.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

alright, I will repost them…Not sure what went wrong

Crappie /\

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Justin and his nice perch

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

last one- crappies moving through on camera.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Cade, your pics weren’t showing up because they are linked from your email acct.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Good pics and great report! Nice job getting a website up and going.

-tim

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks!
    Today:

With a full day trip to gander, I had some new equipment under my belt. I was just dying to get on the ice with my frabil Alpine 30″ rod and a sweedish pimple (w/ green sticker) 20 minutes on the ice till sunset produced 3 fish for me including this 11 inch white crappie, and Justin pounded 8 Crappies with 1 black that was short (8-9″) and FAT
    I didn’t have my flasher so It was hard getting use to 3 cranks off bottom and a ft above your ice hole and you were good to catch some crappies. We were fishing a verticle tree

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.