Central Iowa Fishing Report-Badger, Big Creek

• STXNSTONES
    Central Iowa

You don’t often see vehicles driving on the ice south of I-80, but there were a few trucks on Badger Lake in Madison Co. yesterday. These are the best ice conditions we’ve had in a few years and the bite is heating up. Typically the road bed on Badger is very good early ice, but it gets hit very hard and we have come to the point where you are going to have to look for the gills. I had an apppointment and didn’t have time to mess around yesterday so I got on the ice late and set up on the road bed. I did catch some very nice gills just before dark, but if you are going to find a consistant bite your going to have to go find them in the sunken cedar trees or just off of the creek channel.

Big Creek is giving up big numbers of crappies. The size is marginal, but my fishing partner caught 100+ in two mornings last week. Keep your eye on the bottom as we have been catching some bonus walleyes as well.

Going to Lake of the Woods on Wed of next week. I hope it warms up just a little. I’ll get some pictures of a bunch of guys drinking too much, playing cards and hopefully catching a few fish.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Welcome to IDA and thanks a lot for the report.

I’ve heard a lot about badger creek. good gills in there? anything else? what is the nearest town?

As for Big Creek, I’ve also heard the crappies are going nuts in there. sounds like we’ll have a bunch of hogs next year. where’ve you guys been fishing big creek at? lost lake?

thanks!

STXNSTONES
    Central Iowa

Yeah, you can fish lost lake- there’s no doubt you’ll catch some fish. I don’t fish that area much, I like to get out on the lake. The D.N.R. drew the lake down a few years ago and put a lot of brush piles and rock piles. Its got some good structure, but can be really tough at times, but then again red hot at times. She’s a moody one.

highlifer
    Hopkins, MN

Is there a good place to buy a contour map for Big Creek. I may be comimg down from MN to visit some family and would like to get out on the ice for a day.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Welcome to site STX-N-STONES.Thanks for the report glad to see good ice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.