Cold, Cold, Cold!

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m sure I am not the only one making the adventure onto the ice this weekend. With the bitter cold I just thought I would share a past experience.
    It was a day that started off 7 below zero without the 20mph wind chill. I was fishing an area all by myself and having a tough time finding a good bite. I had the one man with me but I was moving often trying different areas, it was the fifth move I realized I was getting chilled to the bone. Ignoring the cold feeling I set up and started to fish, after a few minutes my mind kicked in and let me know I was not warming up at all. Time to get back to the truck, it was only 100 yards away but it felt like a 2 mile walk. When I arrived at the truck and reach for the keys my hands would not cooperate. The keys fell from my pocket and into the snow. I tried desperately to pick them up with no luck. Shivering uncontrollably at this point and not thinking straight I started laughing out loud. It was just like having an out of body experience. Something inside of my head finally kicked in and made me realize that this was not a good situation. Long story short, it took everything I had to focus hard enough to get the keys out of the snow and get into my truck. I sat there for a good half hour with the heat running full blast before I even thought of getting out and loading up my stuff. All that time there was still no one around, things could have been real bad if I hadn’t made it in the truck.

With that said, don’t ignore the first signs of hypothermia. I now also carry a couple hand warmers just in case my fingers decide not to work again. I also like fishing with a buddy when I can find one to venture out in the cold. Once you notice you are not warming up in front of your heater get your butt off the ice. From that point it did not take long for me to loose my marbles. Just glad the brain kicked in when it did.

Good luck on the ice this weekend and be safe!!!!!!

Bret

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Bret,

Makes good sence to me!!! I’m planing on visiting IDA and watching the tube for the next 5 days……I might even thaw out some fish and have a Walleye dinner!!!!

Be safe out there!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Bret,your right about it sneak’in up

MAN it’s COLD …..

be careful

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Good advice Bret,thanks for the reminder .My 9 yr.old boy really wants to go this w end but I think he’ll be getting a crash course on jig tying and bucktail manufacturing instead Play it safe everyone!!!

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

I also like fishing with a buddy when I can find one to venture out in the cold.

Good advice Buddy Bret. I remember you telling that story and that was a day I didn’t go along with you. Another thing to remember, as we found out last year on a -25 morning, is to have your heater all set up and ready to go. If it’s sitting in the truck all night out in the cold it may not work when you need it. I also try to have at least one spare tank of LP with me and am going to try keeping it from getting real cold in the sled if possible. Another thing we’ve noticed is that in extreme cold with the tank sitting on cold ice they don’t seem to last as long as all the LP doesn’t vaporize at those temps. I’m trying something tomorrow morning and that is putting my Coleman ProCat on a 1″ piece of styrofoam to insulate it from the cold ice at least. I cut one for Bret also so we’ll see if it makes any difference.
    Have a great weekend fishing and play safe.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Another thing we’ve noticed is that in extreme cold with the tank sitting on cold ice they don’t seem to last as long as all the LP doesn’t vaporize at those temps. I’m trying something tomorrow morning and that is putting my Coleman ProCat on a 1″ piece of styrofoam to insulate it from the cold ice at least. I cut one for Bret also so we’ll see if it makes any difference.

Great idea with the foam!
    I never though about the tank lasting less time in the cold like this. Thanks for the heads up!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That could be the cause of me going through so many tanks the last few days. Looks like I need to find something for mine and see how it works. See you guys in the morning

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I made it out last night here on pool 4 looking for eyes. It wasn’t bad going out at 4:30 but the trip back in at 9 o’clock was a bear. It was very cold. The fishing was tough too. I only got 2 smallish eyes.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Another thing to remember, as we found out last year on a -25 morning, is to have your heater all set up and ready to go. If it’s sitting in the truck all night out in the cold it may not work when you need it.

I have my heater in the house and the extra LP in a warm place for the night. They both will also have a warm ride in the truck to the ice. What did I go through that day just trying to get one to lite up Good thing neutron had heat in his shack so I could get things together and you had another tank with ya after my first one frooze up, or I would of had to go home Lesson learned

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.