Marcum + Reel Weeds = Fish

• CPRDave
    Lakeville, MN

A few weekends ago, I purchased 2 new toys — a Marcum VS350 and a pack of Reel Weeds. Boy it feels good to spend money on stuff that’s so sweet. Anyway, I finally used both of them last weekend and was quite pleased with both.

The VS350 has great visibility and contrast – my daughter really enjoyed watching the fish swim by and I enjoyed using it to catch fish. I even set the camera up next to a tip-up and she watched a nice Eye take a minnow.

The Reel Weeds worked well too. I did find, however, that they worked best when there was not much other structure around. The fish definitely seemed to hang around then. When the lake has a bunch of weeds already, the Reel Weeds didn’t seem to attract as well. But, you can’t really judge them on only 2 trips. Sounds like I have an excuse for some more fishin’.

Fished metro area lakes on Saturday and Sunday. I saw fish Saturday, but couldn’t convince them to bite much — only a few small panfish. Sunday was different; I was able to ice ~15 Eyes, but most were smaller than 14 inches.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice Dave…and it’s darn hard to come up with convincing excuses to go fishing all the time isn’t it?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds fun Dave. I think anyone taking kids fishing, if they get bored, cuz the fish aren’t cooperating, pick up a camera, and drop it down the hole. My 7 year old nephew is glued to the screen when I put mine down. There does not have to be fish, I think its the chance, that something may swim by !!!

big g

micah-witham
    Richfield

I’m pretty excited to see episode 2 from what the creators are saying will on there. Muskie’s chasing panfish, walleyes lurking looking for a meal…sounds like fun

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Congrats on the great new equipment, I think those should be some great tools in helping you catch fish. good luck in the quest for big fish

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Nick, I’ll bring my Marcum LX5, OVS560, and a bundle of Reel Weeds. You supply the fish and we’ll git’r done.

iowafishkiller
    Springville, Ia

I’m possibly interested in the reel weeds system. How does it work, and how long does it take for fish to respond to the new cover? I just posted a topic about this because I wanted to get more info before I purchase them.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s an article that may help you along and answer some of your questions.

jld
    Holmen

I was a little skeptical when I first used them earlier in the season especially in areas that already held existing weeds. I have used them in the last couple of weeks in areas that have a soft bottom without weeds and I can honestly say they have made a difference. Not only do they help bring fish in but they hold the fish there. I used them last week on what I figured would be a tough day and I had bluegills on the flasher all day and it was a busy day catching fish for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.