Pool 7/Lake Onalaska

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Made it out late this morning until early afternoon. It has been a long time since I have had a good day of fishing on the lake. But today was definitely a good day. I went out with the idea that the fish were probably not going to bite and left the camera at home Well of course it was the total opposite. Fish bit very well and I could have brought home quite a few 8″ gills, but I chose to release everything. Fish bit on plastics and Cecil’s tipped with a waxie or without. I got to try out the Red Glow Cecil from B-fish-N Tackle and at first wasn’t real impressed. But, that soon changed I have noticed it takes a little more to get the red to glow and it doesn’t seem to hold a charge as long as some colors. But, the gills were inhaling it once they really moved into the area. I was fishing in 8 fow with a soft bottom with a few weeds mixed in. The big gill of the day taped out at 9 1/2″ That fish was a bruiser and a great fight on light tackle. I am heading back tomorrow with camera in hand

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Sounds like a great day of fishing I talked to Justin, and he said he did alright on crappies with one nice bluegill at a bay in lax today as well. How were the ice conditions on the lake, and is anyone out on 4 wheelers/cars yet?

Thanks,
    Cade

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

No vehicle traffic today, just foot travel. But, there were sled tracks on the snow The ice where I was, was around 7″ or so. I didn’t measure it though. There is about an inch of white ice on top and the rest is nice and clear. But the roads were plowed with a 4 wheeler to a few community spots around the lake. I didn’t fish in these areas so I had to drag the shack through the snow Suprisingly, there were few people fishing today and there were also quite a few big perm. shacks on the ice now.

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

nice report…i was fishing a few tip ups tonight in a pool 7 backwater bay…it was incredibly slow…maybe tomorrow ill see you on the big lake

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You will know if I am there once you see all the stickers on the back window of my truck There is a big IDA, BFT, and “AmWatson” sticker. I will be in my Trap Pro with an Eskimo power auger next to it. Stop over and say Hi

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

If you wanna catch fish I would fish on the other side of the lake as far away from Mike as possible.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go Mike. Sounds like you had a great day on the ice. Thanks for the update

jld
    Holmen

Glad to hear that my day Sunday was not a fluke. Hopefully the lake will stay hot for a while. I didn’t see much for shad on the flasher hopefully they are done for the winter also.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Met up with Watson on the lake today and I might as well have stayed home and fished in my aquarium. The first hour the only thing I caught was to gold shiners on a little cecil tipped with a red spike they must have been hungry. I did manage two small perch on a sweedish pimple and about 7 gills only 1 was decent size. I caught the gills on a small rocker jig tipped with a waxie or power bait.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The fishing is a serious roller coaster ride lately One second its fast and furious, the next, theres not a fish around. Justin and I did pretty good today on P8 fishing a bay w/ 10-13 fow. caught a ton of real small crappies, but did keep a load of 10-11″ers for the pan as well as 2 gills over 8″. I’m hoping we see more conistant action within the next couple weeks, I’m going crazy!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.