Need advise for a March Trip

• caster

Due to jury duty and family commitments; I can’t take time to fish before the inland season closes. I have never been to either LOW or Rainy and was considering taking some time off in March to make a long ice fishing trip (walleyes). For those of you who have taken trips during this time period to either place, what recommendations do you have?

I hear a lot about rentals on LOW, but would it be worth it if you take your own gear (portables & snowmobiles)? Is mobility not an issue on LOW?

What is Rainy like in March? I would assume you would use your own gear to fish Rainy.

Thanks for the feedback.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If you are looking at ice-fishing come Mid-March, you may not find what you are looking for. We seem to have weaker ice this year than years past. With that said, assumption could be that ice won’t last long.

Also, keep in mind that come Mid-March, people are getting ready to dump their boats into the Rainy River for some of the BEST walleye fishing to be found!!!!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have done an ice fishing trip to LOTW in March the last couple years. We just sled out and normally do pretty well. Who knows this year with the weird weather if we will have ice or not.
    I am guessing we will be safe up there to get the sleds out and chase some eyes.

The resorts I believe still have their rentals out up there as well so you could do a bomber trip to a house but then you are stuck there all day.
    JB

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Plenty of ice on LOTW through March I’ve been going to LOW on St. Patricks Day for last 20 years we stay in sleepers but you could do the portable thing also.
    The fishing is usually very good at this time of year.
    You’ll need a new 07 Fishing Licence and shelter tags.

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Hello from Wigwam… As of right now we have 36+” of ice up here right now and more cold on the way…We will still be on the reefs ice permitting in March.

The fish will also be moving into the bay for the Spring run.
    The river is iffy at best.
    The reefs are awesome because you can also get into the Jumbo perch.

If you need anymore info let us know.

Cat

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

LOTW and RED Lake in March. Now that’s a fishing trip.

caster

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking LOW would be better since you could include a trip to Upper Red Lake.

I really want to bring the portables. Not knowing the lake, how far should I expect to travel? I have a couple of options for gear (FT Pro or Eskimo QFIII). If I have to travel out a long ways I want the extra room for supplies. I’m planning on using my snowmobile vs. driving out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.