Eelpout

• Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

While fishing mille lacs out of Nitti’s I like to jig for eelpout in the late evening to keep busy. But the last few weeks they seemed to have disapeared. Anybody else notice fewer pout?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dream’n . Care to share any tips on finding and chasing pout. About all I know is to fish minnows on the bottom at night. Do you know if they hang on certain types of structure or prefer specific lures.

Had a meal of them earlier this winter and thought they where top notch. Its just getting past the slim while cleaning them.

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

My cabin is on Mille Lacs. I am out there quite a bit. I have yet to ice one this year. I also do not see very many on the ice. Usually, every spot I go I see dead pout. Not this year?!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have yet to catch one on the pond this year either!! Anybody know what’s up with this?

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have only iced one this year and it was small compaired to other years I was about to ask where a good place to catch them was too

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I guess I’ll state the same as above,….Havn’t seen any, none laying the ice either,…But thats nice to see. The only one I caught this year was fall trolling

desperado

It’s really not prime time for ’em yet. Try rock piles after walleye season closes.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I was lucky enough to catch one at the GTG. It was all of 5″!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I think I seen around 5-6 caught this winter. Its best to release them back down the hole, not wanting to waste!!

I think others are now following along and also putting them back down the hole and not letting them lay out on the ice. I know the warden will give you a good talking to about lets them lay on the ice….
    I had one around 5 lbs the other day out on the mud!! that baby would have put some money in my pocket come February 17th!!!!at the Hunters Point Perch and Pout contest

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one not seeing them. We did hit them good the first weekend out there though. I like to use a spoon that glows tipped with a big minnow head. Just make sure to bring it up often and zap it for better glowing.

Thinice1
    Elk River, MN

yeah its been slim for pout ive been on that lake at least four days a week for the past two months and i have only caught two

trapperdirk
    Burk's Falls,Ont, Canada

I like shaly shoals or rocky points with a good dropoff into deep water nearby . In mid february they spawn and get very agressive and easily jigged with anything flashy even in daylight .

We get a group of us together a couple of times a year and go targetting ling . A jig head and tail that glows with just a minnow head for scent jigged on bottom is what we mostly use and can rack up some good numbers of fish in a short time . If your allowed to chum there than do so with cut up minnows or smelt just before dark and it won’t be long before the ling move in .

TD

bigpike

I never did seem to understand why guys just throw them on the ice??? They arent like a carp that are not native to the lakes in Upper Minnesota and Canada, yet every time I visit areas known for pout, sure enough they are discarded on the ice like yesterdays trash. Isnt this illegal and unethical? I am just wondering why?

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Come to my shack at the Mry Mar if you want pout. We have caught more pout than eyes this year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.