fish trap sled problem

• bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Any ideas on how to fix a small hole in one corner of the sled to my fish trap? I end up with snow/ice/slush in my shack due to the hole. It’s only about a 2-3″ hole in one corner.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I’d try bondo and fiberglass mesh
    or some auto body shops have plastic welders and can weld a patch
    good luck

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I tried the fiberglass trick……..Did’nt work. Plastic welder might be an answer,but I’ve never seen it done.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I fixed a hole about the size of a dime on my sled.

Go to Walmart or any automotive store and get “plastic bumper” repair kit. Generally a 2-part expoxy mix.

Read directions carefully and thoroughly, as temperature is critical for the epoxy setting up correctly.

I placed a light layer over the hole on the outside. Then placed a piece of masking tape to “hold it” in place and help keep the expoxy in the hole. I placed probably a 1/8″ layer, about 2″ diameter over the dime-sized hole. You don’t want to “glob” it on.

Then on the “inside” of the sled, I placed another layer, same size.

You shouldn’t have to cover the inside sled layer with any tape. The gravity of the epoxy will fill the hole nice and smooth with the tape on the outside.

Make sense?

Also, black automotive spray paint will hold very well to this epoxy, so if you do it smooth, you won’t see it.

As for fixing a hole that big, I would cut a piece of card-board that is the same thickness, to the same dimensions of the hole. Place it in the hole and epoxy both sides, like I stated above. That cardboard will get sealed within the expoxy and hold well. If you have a 2-3″ hole, I would spread the epoxy atleast 2″ all the way around the hole to make a nice “layer”.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I bought a plastic welding kit from Harbor freight not very expensive either. I havn’t tried it yet it is one of those when I need it I want to have it now things.

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

At carquest, we sell a lot of permetx products. GREAT products, they have some epoxy kits for plastic repair. I have used some of them and they always work great. The two part epoxy kit for a plastic repair sells for about $5. Maybe a little less or more, but exellent products, sell a lot of them and use them myself.

Hope you get it fixed!

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Thanks for the ideas! I’ll try the epoxy and let you know how it works. Doesn’t sound to expensive, so might as well give it a try.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

A thin piece of sheet metal and a few rivets should do the trick

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

let us know how that works for you!

Post a couple pics if you could too. I am sure you are not the only person who was wondering that very question.

This is one of the many reasons I like this site everone is so willing to bounce ideas off each other and come up with great ideas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.