Lake pepin Ice

• banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

I am going down to the lower half of lake pepin to my summer fishing spot in the morning and I was wondering if anybody has been out on pepins ice at all? How do people do on pepin in the winter? Do the eyes stick around or do they all go up to redwing?
    I was also wondering if anybody has been out to long walk south of nelson? I am going there on thursday. Thanks T

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

Fished Pepin last week a few evenings. Spots on the MN side around Lake City. The ice is not the thickest. We were on 3″. We didn’t find any ice over 4″. We had the spud bar and would hit it in front with each step. Some spots it went right through. We couldn’t get to places we normally hit because of the thin ice.
    If there is much current where you are looking at going, the ice is going to be thin. Around Lake City was open water a little over a week ago.
    Pepin can be great in the winter, IF you find the fish. They move alot just like summer and can be here today, gone tomorrow.
    Good luck!

thegun
    mn

Hey Banjo

No all the walleyes dont go up to red wing! i have been out on pepin a few times this year! ice is around 3″ + but there are areas with less! so use caution out there! fishing has been slow but you can manage a few fish! mid day has been about the best time! haven’t been out there in the morning yet! Its definitely worth a try!

good luck and let us know how you do!

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

I am going to be in the Wi. side. I think the currant is more on the MN side. That is I think!

Thanks mskyfshntchr. How was the fishing for you? Do you ever get any white bass?

guN how have you been getting them Tip ups or jigging?

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

Fishing has been the same for me as for TheguN…slow..actually a little slower for me because I haven’t been getting out there til a little later and like he said miday has been best. Once we get a little more ice and are able to get to some more spots, the evening bite will pick up.
    White bass? nope..I could put you on some schools of sheepshead that will give you plenty of tug on your line!!
    Jigging…EVERYTHING jigging….

kris_brantner
    My river

there isnt any current on the wisconsin side at all

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

Thanks kris
    How much ice do you guys have out from pepin?

thegun
    mn

Quote:

Fishing has been the same for me as for TheguN…slow..actually a little slower for me

The real reason fishing has been slower for mskyfshntchr!

Hes just not that good of a fisherman!

Me and mskyfshntchr fish together all the time and he is right! JIGGING! that is if you want to catch a fish! if your after crappies you can do good with a plain hook that is green or red!

You dont need a big tackle box for the walleyes either! only 2 lures you need is a #5 perch jiggin rap! and a dark green rocker minnow!

jig and pause jig and pause! they’ll take it on the pause most of the time!

thegun
    mn

Hey dont forget to give us a report!

ozzyky
    On water

Speaking of Lake Pepin has anybody been in Big Lake just south of Nelson?

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

yeah thats long walk I asked for some info about that place. People are pritty much hush hush about that place. I am going to look out there tomorrow when I go down to pepin.

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

The real reason fishing has been slower for mskyfshntchr!

Hes just not that good of a fisherman!

TheguN…maybe if I didn’t have to work and got to spend most of the day on IDA getting reports on where to go and then fishing the rest of the day….I only get to do that half days!!

Summer is coming and I will be able to reverse those roles…Say. who has got the biggest musky the last 2 years?? We both know though that summer fishing is when it counts among us, not these dinky walleyes through the ice…

He is right though..those 2 lures…maybe an orange or firetiger jr mixed in once in a while…but 99% of the time you will do great with those 2 lures.

yep, let us know how you did!!

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

Well here is how I did. I stopped at long walk for three hours 3 perch 1 sunnie. Then went to pepin and didnt get a bite for another 3 hours. I did see fish down there. Not sure what I think some were shad. Fished a dropoff between 8′-19′. I am thinking I have to find a little bend or a point or somthing.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

there isnt any current on the wisconsin side at all

Don’t let the Wisconsin side fool you. There are many dangerous area caused by springs and creek mouths up and down the Wisconsin side of the lake. Check every area thoroughly when hitting the ice.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

How do people do on Pepin in the winter? Do the eyes stick around or do they all go up to red wing?
    I was also wondering if anybody has been out to long walk south of nelson? I am going there on Thursday. Thanks T

I have traditionally done well on walleyes and saugers through the ice of Pepin. As a matter of fact, I am very anxious to get out there. I plan to post a detailed report as soon as I get into a rhythm down there.
    For starters, saugers are normally found on steep drops (can be rock or sand) in anywhere from 15-25 feet. I have had good luck with spoons tipped with minnow heads ( I really like the slower fall of the Angel Eye) and also with Jigging raps. They will also hit a minnow on a slip bobber.
    I usually fish for eyes a little shallower and mostly in the morning/evening. I catch them in anywhere from 3- 12 feet of water. Since I am fishing shallower for eyes I make sure I drill all the holes I will need right away so the fish do not get spooked more than necessary. I look for the same types of areas that I pitch in the river. A lot of time these are the same spots that I am sauger fishing only farther up the break. Tip ups with shiners or spoons work well for me.

I hope this is enough to get you started in the right direction. Maybe I’ll see you out there sometime.

Please remember though, the ice conditions can change rapidly out there. Be careful!!!!!!

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

Sorry I forgot to say how the ice was. I found mostly 4″-5″ until I got out to the break then I found a spot where there wasn’t much snow and there was 6″. Si I went about 10 feet further to put un a tip up and found 2 1/2″. Wierd

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.