What a day!!! Uhg!

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, My father called me the other day and asked that I take him out Ice Fishing. He prefers to eat Northern… So I took him out on my favorite Northern Lake..> Coon Lake. Well, Thinks started out pretty slow. Got out there at about 10am. My experience is that the northern on that lake doesn’t start until after 12 noon. We were fishing in about 7 FOW or so. with a couple tip-ups as well. At about 11am… I had a flag go up. I run out there… set the hook… and pull in a small slimer. After resetting, I walk back to the house. My father and I were just about to open up the Yukon and step back in when I heard a “Sploosh”. Unreal. I unzip and poke my head in knowing what I was about to see. Yep, you guessed it, For the first time in my life… My rod was sucked down into the briny deep with whatever just hit on my shiner. UHG I ALWAYS set my bail open and set it so it would be wedged somewhere anytime I leave my house… or I reel it in. Don’t ask me why I didn’t this time. I left it sitting on the ice. Well, I have to say that the best part about this was I have not heard my father laugh so hard or have so much fun at my expense. All in all… My father had a great time. Though, I did kind of get the last laugh. I pulled in about a 4 pound northern after that… and he pretty much sat skunked. So the man that taught me to fish is now reciveing his lessons. But… I still lost a rod and reel.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

It wasnt the St.Croix was it Dave???

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Least you know now what you are getting for your next birthday gift from him, hint hint..
    of course you may have to TELL him that is WAS the new high end graphite rod you just got..
    Jack..

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

lol

No, it wasn’t the St Croix. I let my father use the St Croix since my Ugly Stick needed a little oiling. The reel was a little tight when reeling in… So… I guess I was a little lucky there. I have to say though… it upset me more that I missed that dang fish than it did losing the pole to him.

da-z-man

So in hindsight- someday, someone will catch a Norsky with a bonus rod and reel attached to it.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I would like to think so… but considering all the facts “8lb test line on an ugly stick gone down in some weeds)… if that fish were still attached… he would have wrapped that rod and line through some weeks and had died soon thereafter. Actually… what I didn’t mention is that I took a 7 foot pole with a hook on it later that day… and shoved it down the hole..up to my elbow scraping the bottom to see if it somehow got caught. See, after this happened… I had quite a few air bubbles coming up into my hole. Now, normally I wouldn’t think twice about this. But considering that it was happening in my hole and not my fathers… I figured that fish gone down to the bottom and got stuck. And every once in a while started putting up a fuss causing some gas to be set free from the bottom. But nothing doing. Oh well… I guess it is an excuse to go out and by a new rod an reel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.