Pool 8 Bulls- 1/20/07

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Made it on the ice today with my friend Carson ( who will hopefully make his first post here today..) for some bluegill action. The original plan was to fish some deep water for crappies, but that did not pan out as I fished there last night with Justin P. and only caught small gills and crappies with only a few good ones. With word of a decent bite going on at Stoddard, I decided to go check it out. Normally I wouldn’t disclose the location, but its no secret…There were probably 80+ guys out and even a few 4 wheelers zipping around. We found an officially measured 8″ of ice in the channel closest to the highway…But the second channel between the islands probably had around 6″…The fishing started out pretty good in the morning, with not much traffic yet on the ice. I was using purple at first, but carson was catching them on orange so I made the switch and got into them myself. I caught a nice mess of gills around 9″ which were a nice addition to Carson’s own pile of fish. The flurry of activity was enough to fill carson’s bag with 21 gills over 8-1/2 inches, anything less than that was back down the hole we released countless numbers of 7-8 inchers, but around 1 in the afternoon, things started to taper off, before picking back up again, but this time, they were all under 7 inches It was time to go home and the day was done. But it was a great time! Fish were holding near bottom. The technique was to start the jig about 2 feet under the ice and slowly lower it down to the bottom in 6 feet while continuously twitching the spring bobber on the way down. Fish would come up to meet the bait, and then you would work them from there. I know one thing was for sure..I had way more lookers than takers!
    above is a pic of my biggest gill, a whopper 9-1/4″ that took a orange/red “flu flu” ice jig from custom jigs and spins..

Good luck,
    Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Carson with a couple nice gills..

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

here are some bulls that I caught…

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Nice fish Cade. I heard the bite was on down there. I stayed close to home with the kids today. Lots of small ones. Didn’t catch anything with size. Heading down to pool 9 tomorrow.

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

nice to see you got some fish. The first sunny is a nice one. I got some fish today, not a whole lot but i got some none the less. I got one really nice perch though. IT was about 13 3/4. Ill send it to ya to post. I think i might go back to neshonoc tommorow. If you wanna come.

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

By the way i switched spots though. Nothing was bitting in the spot i was at when i caught the crappies. Not a thing . SO i moved to the other side and had decent luck. Theres about 6-8 inches ice depending on where you fish so thats a good thing.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

here is Luke’s awesome near 14″ perch!
    that thing is holding cargo!

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

thanks agian for posting the pic for me. I need to learn how to do that. Show me at school sometime. You are the man

luke

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

BTW, my pool 8 report for the day-
    Fished a deep bay area today and did OK, w/ a ton of dink crappies and gills coming to the ice hole. I kept several good crappies w/ 2 perch and we released several, and carson also kept a few. One bad thing that happened was Justin’s dog managed to get into the fish bag after all was said and done, and took out more than a couple fish..Justin recovered 2 in his yard and I’m missing 1 more nice white crappie and not sure how many others…It was a bad way to end the day, knowing those fish got chewed up by the dog and went to waste Highlights of the day- catching a perch on a tip up..made for some excitement…Plunging my arm down a hole to grab an unbuttoned crappie, which turned out to be a keeper
    oh you can’t forget dragging the shanty aprox. 20 blocks or so to Justin’s house on the road after we were done…Couldn’t get a ride home. Thank god we got a little snow today!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Nice fish and thanks for the report Cade!

neshonoc
    Wisconsin

Today sucked. WE cuaght prolly a total of ten fish. All sunnies and blue gills . It wasnt as good as the last two times i went out but, none the less it was still fun.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.