Tip up help for walleyes

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

OK guys,
    I have been using a few tip ups for walleyes over the past couple of seasons/weeks and just can’t seem to get it right.
    I’m using walleye fatheads and shiners. No flags.
    I try to get them set-up in all the right places; weed edges, rock piles, inside corners, etc, no flags.
    Changed the leader to 4 feet of 8lb. clear mono, barrel swivel and then the dacron line. No flags.
    Changed the locations of the tip ups frequently, no flags.

I know there are walleye in the lakes I fish, what the hell am I doing wrong?
    Any advise for a frustrated tip-upper?

Don

catmando
    wis

I’m sure you are but just checking you are useing some weight to get to the bottom? Fish from 1-2 feet off the bottom might try 6lb leader punch your hole’s early.if you can set a pattern of some sort down a break. dont move around 2 much at prime time unless you have something going. In wis we can jig and move around and have 2 tip ups. makes things easyier to find fish. Dan OH dont ue to big of treble you will get more minnow action. goood luck

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Well I see you are from red wing so one solution would be to put the tip ups away and come down to evert’s and fish the river.

Anyways like mentioned before be sure you are within 1 to 2 feet of the bottom. One thing that can throw you off is if there is just the slightest bit of current. That will pull your line and bait up therefore making it be to far off the bottom. One other thing to look at is the type of bait you are using and size. Take a look at what the main natural forage is in the lake and try and match that for size and type. There has been some lakes that I have fished that the eyes will only bite on shiners and some they will only bite on suckers. Try differnt kinds of minnows and sizes until you find something that works.
    You might want to talk to some locals and people at the bait shops to maybe get some more info on what is working and where.

Stick with it and you will catch some fish sooner or later.

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks guys, one more question; when it comes to weight, (which I am using…), how much do I need?
    For example; If I’m using a 3″ fathead, should I add just enough to allow the minnow to frantically swim upwards but be pulled down by the sinker when he stops? This would seem logical to me.

Don

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Use enough to hold ’em down… Put the sinker 12 – 16″ above the hook. That will let the lil’ critter swim just fine. Enough weight to keep the bait in the 1-2′ zone is what you’re looking for.

Tuna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.