Loose powerhead on Jiffy

• PaulV
    Eagan, MN

I have an older 3hp Jiffy and just noticed that the powerhead is very loose. Is this easy to fix? It looks like I would need to remove the top of the gearcase to tighten the bolts…if that’s even possible.

On the other hand, I’ve been eyeing a new 2hp model, so maybe I should use this an excuse to run out and buy one. Either way, I’ve got to do something quick, because I’m planning on fishing tomorrow.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Buy a strike master.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Buy a strike master.

I’d go buy a Jiffy Stealth STX 2hp….

PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Didn’t mean to start a Ford/Chevy thing here. Just looking for some advice from someone more knowledgeable than myself to tell me whether I could tighten up the powerhead myself and how to do it.

I did run out and buy myself a new Jiffy Stealth STX 2hp/8″, and I’m loving it so far. Much lighter than the beast of a 3hp/10″ I’ve been using for many years, and it cuts great.

I’d still like some info on the loose powerhead, though, so I can hopefully fix it before I sell it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant picture the connection on the 3hp but cannot imagine a bolt that cant be tightened on that unit. If the nuts are in the gearbox just open it up. Nothing special about opening the gearbox. No springs to fly or oil to leak. Check it out. Piece of cake.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

i second that have a loose connesction as well and ran like **** this weekend

PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Just a follow-up to let people know the end result in case anyone’s interested.

I spoke with Kevin, the tech support guy at Feldman Engineering today (nice guy, very helpful). He explained that on my model 30 Jiffy you have to take the motor and mounting plate off of the gearbox and tighten the bolts that hold the motor in place from underneath the mounting plate. It was pretty easy, even for me. Everything’s all tightened up and ready to run again. However, since I already bought a new auger, I’ll probably sell it.

Just in case any Strikemaster devotees are itching to do any Jiffy bashing because my motor loosened up, you should know that this one was built in 1985 and has given 21 years of dependable service so far, and still runs and cuts well.

p.s. Pierbridge, how did you know that I’ve had my eye on a Stealth STX? Do we know each other, or are you psychic?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Just in case any Strikemaster devotees are itching to do any Jiffy bashing because my motor loosened up, you should know that this one was built in 1985 and has given 21 years of dependable service so far, and still runs and cuts well.

p.s. Pierbridge, how did you know that I’ve had my eye on a Stealth STX? Do we know each other, or are you psychic?

That model 30 will long out last your New Stealth they don’t die.

Just a lucky guess on the new auger……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.