Redwing ice fishing

• b-j-r
    Pool 4

looking for info on the ‘pottery pond’ I was able to look at it last weekend but didnt have my gear. Curious about #’s,size and species. Thanks.

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I drive by there on my lunch hour almost everyday and there are always guys fishing. I talked to the guy at Ike’s and he said the DNR put trout in there. Sounds like some guys have been catching some nice ones.

~SKINEBOY~

b-j-r
    Pool 4

Thanks for the info. Now to decide to fish there or nelson this weekend?

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

Well, I wish I had more info for you, but I have not had a chance to try it out myself. If I read the reg book correctly there is a winter season for trout on the Pottery Pond.

~SKINEBOY~

b-j-r
    Pool 4

I think your right i talked to a buddy at four seasons and he said you could keep them out of the pond. Streams are catch and release only i think. The pond just seems so small and with all the people out there, i would think the bite would be tough, or that it would be fished out. Thats why i’m leaning more towards the backwaters. alot of people but alot of fish/area.

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

From what I read the limit is 3. The guy at Ike’s told me they were seeing some 16 to 18 inch trout. I don’t know whether I believe that or not, but it sounds like fish are being caught. My guess is that it is a really hit or miss thing. I also see they turned the aerator back on yesterday. If you head out there let me know how you do. If not good luck in the back waters. I am heading to Mille Lacs for the weekend.

~SKINEBOY~

b-j-r
    Pool 4

Will do. Have a good trip.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I have to assume that is getting tough at the pond. The DNR only stocked 800 trout in there and it has been getting pounded hard all season so far. It does appear like there is plenty of keeping going on too.
    I kinda think it is a shame. That is such a small pond and is very fun for the children. At least there are still plenty of small sunnies to keep the kids happy.

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

It is too bad that it has been pounded all year Gator. At the same time it is to be expected with no ice on the bay all year. I did see a permanent shack at the end of one of the docks in the bay yesterday when I drove by. Good ice in that bay will take some of the pressure off of the pond.

~SKINEBOY~

gregory
    Red wing,mn

That pond has been pounded by the same guys every year as long as i rember, like gato said seems like alot of keeping goin is excactly right its the same old retired guys sitting down there every day keeping there limit. personally i think it should be catch and release, the pond is for kids and the handicap

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I agree BUB. I fished that pond while I was younger and always had fun catching dime sized sunnies and once saw a giant crappie come out of there. I have not fished it for years. It’s too bad to see that happen to that pond. Do you think the DNR will continue to stock it if this continues to happen?

~SKINEBOY~

gregory
    Red wing,mn

they have been continuing to stock it for the past years, i think it would be kids interst to try to get it catch and release

b-j-r
    Pool 4

After reading these posts, I decided to head towards nelson for the weekend. The pond should be left for the kids.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.