Finding fish on Mille Lacs?!?

• millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

After much begging from my father I have finally set my pride aside and have resorted to asking all you IDA’ers for some help. As some of you know, I’m relatively new to ice fishing. I bought a wheel house with my father last winter and have been out on Mille Lacs a grand total of about 15 times. Late last February and early in March we would just drive out onto the lake, stop, and set up. Surprisingly, we managed to catch a fair amount of fish.

I sat around all summer waiting for winter to come. Now that it has come, I find myself “walleyeless” here the third week in January. I bought a cheap GPS unit this summer. It does not have a detailed map or anything, but I have been marking each place we fish. As of last weekend we have set up our house at 18 different places along the East side of Mille Lacs. Mostly out of Hunters Point, but we have been up to Fishers and down to Walleye Dundee’s. So with all the work I feel I have put into trying to find some fish I’m starting to get discouraged. So is my 60 year old dad who doesn’t have the energy to move the house 4 or 5 times a day. Last weekend I actually took a pop-up tent and punched 20-30 holes and just could not find any fish.

My mom and little sister are coming up to the cities from LaCrosse to go ice fishing with us this weekend. I would love to be able to set up the house once this upcoming weekend and be able to catch some fish. Because I’m not sure my mom and 8 year old sister will be into the hassle of moving. Walleye’s are not even a must, we would be more than happy to be over some nice perch. I have been raving to them about how much fun it is to go ice fishing and I really don’t want them to drive 4 hours to only catch two 12 inch perch as we did last weekend. Any suggestions as to where we can set up? I know one spot can be great one day and terrible the next and I also know this is a sensitive subject, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, I’m fishing Go Devils, Jig-A-Bits, and everything else I’ve heard works. I also have a 560, a LX-3 flasher, and even reel weeds. I feel that I have the equipment to catch fish, the problem is that I just can not find them!

big_g
    Isle, MN

With the GTG this weekend, I am guessing, you can get lots of live reports at Hunters, starting Friday already, as alot of people are going thursday night. Otherwise, look for Dereks Yellow Ski-Doo and target his area… sorry Derek.

bgi g

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

What size vehicle to you have to pull that wheel house aroud in??????? I would head to the mud if you want to catch fish, heck you should even be able to catch some pout!!!

Do you have a 4 wheeler to pull the house???? that would be the safest way out to the mud!!!!

Stop at your favorite outdoors store and buy the lakemaster paper map of Mille Lacs….Look for some good contours and punch them in your GPS and head to that spot!!! It sounds like your not setting up near enough structure to catch the mighty walleye….in “no mans land” you will pick up a few perch and on an occasion pick up a walleye as well!! I would definetly stop in and pick up the lakemaster paper map!! That will help you out a ton!!!

Good luck!

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

Give me a P.M.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

With the GTG this weekend, I am guessing, you can get lots of live reports at Hunters, starting Friday already, as alot of people are going thursday night. Otherwise, look for Dereks Yellow Ski-Doo and target his area… sorry Derek.

bgi g

Just follow the smell of stogies

The Lakemaster chip and GPS is going to help you alot. What your doing now is throwing darts at a dart board. With todays map chips, having a GPS without the chip is only good for a reference. Stop by cabin # 3 Fri night at Hunters and we can cover some basics.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Last weekend I actually took a pop-up tent and punched 20-30 holes and just could not find any fish.

Dear Jumboless, (all in good fun)

Frustating? yes.

Fishing? yes.

Uncommon? Heck no!

I know you’re very enthusiastic about fishing general and definately perch. You did mention having better luck last year Feb. and March. Thats when we see scools of perch. As of right now we’re just beginning to see the perch gather together in small groups. It will take a bit for those fish to school togther in their massive prespwn groups. Often times we see walleye following in attempt at a meal.
    As for fishing right now, you need to put your work in. It sounds as if you’ve found areas that produce fish relative to time of year, which is very noteworthy. Don’t through those spots out yet. But for now, those who put their time in will reap the benefits of doing so. I know 20-30 holes poops a guy out. In fact I know it very well. When I’ve taken guide clients out in the past its not rare to punch 200-300 holes in a day. If you’re not catching its time to move. If you’re catching some,..remember it! Remember the PTA. Presentation, Time, Area. You’ve got your camera,…now use it as a tool. What were you fishing on that wasn’t holding fish? Go to something new. I know its work, thats why I guide. I will guranty you one thing,….if you work,…you will catch fish. Don’t forget that. The guys that are catching fish are either using spotting scopes or have worked to find them

“I have not failed, I’ve just found ten thousand ways that won’t work” ~Thomas Edison

millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

Alright. Thanks for all the responses guys. We pull the wheel house with a Ford F150 according to my dad its around a ton and a half. I have looked at the lakemaster maps at Cabelas but figured they would be of no real benefit because I have no idea what to look for and when to look for it…

If you guys had to set up your house in only one spot for a whole weekend what would you look for as far as depth, structure, etc.? Now I know if you want to do fantastic you need to work hard all weekend. But right now I’ll just settle for some perch, and occasional walleye or northern, and something for us to watch on the camera. Last weekend the camera was in the water for about twenty hours and we saw one walleye, and probably 5 keeper perch, and about 200 4-6 inch perch. What does a consistent fishing spot look like on a map?

pafollmer
    Brooklyn Center MN

A consistent fishing spot, that is a great question, I would suggest buying a book about walleyes if thats the fish you prefere to fish and understand their habits.Walleyes are attracted to different types of structure at different times in the year. Look for saddles, sharp drops, Humps in deep water, humps in an open area. A small rock pile in a sandy area next to deep water will hold fish nearly all year
    Study your prey and keep fishing

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

If you cant get to the flats with your house try three mile reef the mud is better but the reef is holding walleyes and perch also.

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

P.M. sent

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

P.M. sent

ditto

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.