Underwater Camera Advice??

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Hello all,,
    I’ve been thinking of buying an underwater camera. I’m more of a summer fisherman right now but i think within the next 2-3 years I will be much more involved in the ice-fishing excitement. I’ve done a little research but wondering if any of you have had good luck with one brand/model vrs. another. Basically looking to identify structure for summer fishing and to gain a little more excitement while winter fishing.. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

While we wait for some members to reply, Use the search to find some threads about underwater cameras. In the recent past we’ve had many discussions about the cameras available. In the mean time, do your search and check out MarCums line of cameras MarCum Cameras

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I recently started using a MarCum camera myself. It’s a lot of fun and they work great. There’s a sales on MarCum cameras at Jolly Ann Marine this week too.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

If I may put in my 3 cents worth.

If you can afford it, you should get the VS460 or VS560. You cannot get any better value than the above. The reasons are :

1. The only camera I know that you can use at night. You get about 1-2 feet visibility with their night lights. Most other cameras just get noisy and become unusable as soon as the sun starts to set

2. The PAN function is really useful when you want to just scout the area. Lower the camera in with the PAN function activated and you can look all around without trying to twist your fingers off.

3. I have heard one person tell me that cameras spook walleyes and thus Walleyes will never bite when a camera is around. I do not think that is true cos you can see videos of walleye in the Reel Weeds website. Also, I have personally seen walleyes eyeing and going for my bait using the camera. So that myth is busted.

4. I still have not finesse my skill with the flasher, so the UW camera is still my tool that I use to catch sunfish, crappies, trout, and perch.

5. It is easy to charge the camera. No crocodile clips. Just plug it in and you are good to go.

6. The V560 has a remote control. I find that the remote is not so useful. But I think the PAN function in the 560 is really useful.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

day fishing……got to use a camera IMHO. Doesn’t matter the species.

If the budget allows, sure go top of the line and get a panning style.

If not and the budget is tight, get a low-grade model. It will do everything you want it too. It will also make you put down the flasher and use the camera all day long!

When it comes to night, my opinion is that the “lights” don’t do you any good. Not much anyways.

Night time fishing, in my opinion is flasher time!!!!

coppertop
    Central MN

Dale, The other week a few friends and I went to Thorne bros. and Cabelas, one guy bought a Cabelas cam for 179.00 and he said it worked great. He went fishing with some guys who had a Scout and he said the Cabelas camera was able to see further out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.