Prior lake

• redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Is anyone going to be out there? I just bought an auger(thanks BruceB) and want to go test it out and am thinking about trying it tomorrow. I have the day off so if the roads aren’t too bad I am going to try to make it in the a.m. I’ll let everyone know the results when I get back.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Cool, I work, but I’m looking forward to a report.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I was just testing out some jigging spoons today. I did ok for out there, I caught around 20 crappies only one was above 10″ and 25-30 bluegill, there were several over 8″. Most of them would come in and look at the spoon then whollop the set line. Thanks Gator for pointing me in the right direction.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Thanks Gator for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem buddy. I am glad I was able to help out a little.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

Thanks for the Prior update, looking to head out there this weekend if I don’t go up north. Were you off of the beach by the island on lower? Any vehicles on the ice over there yet?

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

MY BUDDY FISHES PRIOR ALOT HE TOLD ME SOMEONE WENT THROUGH OVER THE WEEKEND WITH A SNOWMOBILE ??

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

I had heard someone went through on cross country skis??? Can anyone confirm if anyone went through, and where it may have been? I was planning on heading out on the south side with my ATV this weekend but now am reconsidering after hearing these reports.

I had been out there on 6-8″ of great ice on the south side right up until it rained and snowed on newyears, but havent been out since.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

your absolutly right it he was cross country skiing i miss heard the story , sorry about the confusion . i guess there is some good spots though with 10″ of ice , not quite sure where though

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

he could have went through if he wasn’t paying attention. Straight out from the access a house went through, from the look of it, it was HUGE. There was around 12-13 inches of ice when I was out there, so except for where people went through earlier in the year its pretty safe as far as ice goes.

mpoot
    Eagan, MN

I’ve been out there a few times and the ice seemed good except there was a big ice heave between sand point and the island. I saw one small car out on the ice last Saturday. The car was about 15′ off the shore where there is lake access in the bay just west of the island. I crossed the ice heave about two weeks ago (on foot) and it was very scary. The north side of the heave seemed safe but on the south side of the heave the ice was busted up pretty bad.

veritas89
    Rosemount, MN

I was out on prior on Saturday the 20th we had a good 15 inches of ice and there were about 50 – 60 permenants on the lake

There was about 10 vehicles right of the access
    so the ice is good and strong

Crappies werent biting much but hit a few sunnies in the 9 – 10 range

hopefully get out this week sometime

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Was out yesterday and last nite on the south end of prior. Caught lots of crappies but they were all small. Did pull in one walleye, (small too). Just nice to have some rodbenders.

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

5 gusy and myself went out Saturday morning. We ended up with a few glags, but our skills let us down. We got one decent eye and a couple of perch right on the edge of being dinner.

We did make sure to bring the brewskies and the grill, so it turned out to be just shy of excellent. A few more fish would have made it excellent.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Hey guys, would anybody be so kind and tell me where they are getting eye’s i have never fished the lake and want to try it out sometime THANKS

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Honestly;
    you will find your walleyes in your typical “winter walleye hangouts” on the lake.

I truly don’t mean to come across negative by saying this. But it is true!

Search for your points, looking for sand/rock transition, access to deeper water.

Study the map!
    My first time hunting for walleyes on Prior, I iced 15 walleyes in about 1.5 hours, right at dark.

All by studying the map……….
    AND a little “secret tip”……Stay away from the crowds……Where the crowds are at, is where all the “stupid walleyes” have already been caught. Those walleyes are pressured.

Scout around, get away from the crowds, study the map, and you will find the fish you are looking for!

Also, I’ve found that the walleyes will be kinda dormant during the day on Prior. My findings is that they like the “low-light” periods and go into a crazy feeding frenzy if you are on the right spot.

Jigging spoon with minnow head. Low light periods on that lake, I prefer to use a red colored spoon.

Good luck!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.