Brainerds Rice Lk/Crosbys Serpent Lk Ice Condition

• pdonnelly

I and the kid fished both Rice Lake (Brainerd)and Serpent Lake (Crosby/Ironton) the day before yesterday. Rice had and has had 12 to 15 inches of ice on it for some time. We fished both the North and South ends of Serpent Lake and found the ice on the North end to be about 13-14 inches thick, while the South end near the pump house was about 11-12 inches. It’s been at 0 deg.s the last couple of nights so I’m guessing that there’s a couple of inches more on the area lakes.

Little Blackhuff 8-9 inches of ice a week ago, but the fishing was ok for Crappie and some Sunnys.

Be careful out there on the ice guys (gals).

Fishing on Serpent was really slow, while the sunnys were biting on Euro larve on Rice. You’d catch about 6-8 small ones before you’d get a keeper but it was fun–bring the Vexlar you’re going to need it. Good luck. Pat

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Thanks for the ice update pdonnelly, it is always nice to see other lakes ice conditions. It goes to show how much of a difference the lakes can have within a few miles from each other…

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

any eyes on serpent lately?

pdonnelly

Hey Deerwoody, I didn’t catch any eyes on Serpent but I have spoken with some guys that have. It apparently has alot to do with the time of day and I’ve heard that about 7:30 pm is a good time to be out. This cold snap has really slowed things up on the lakes up here.

Pat

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

It has been a couple of weeks since i have been out there but when i was they were hitting on small spoons with small shiners on the deerwood end.The small main lake flats were the ticket for me.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Yeah the cold snap shut down the fishing. Before it, was yellow, green Frostie’s (Lindy) with the red treble. Worked very well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.