Eating & Cleaning Fish on Mille Lacs

• jrcunning1

I am sure that this has been beat to DEATH but here is the official regulation on this topic. (I just hung up with a DNR/Conservation Officer up north)…
    Only can clean AND eat non-slot fish ON the lake (ie. perch, crappies, gills, etc)..Throw the entrails in a bag & throw them away on shore…
    You CANNOT touch any slot fish (eyes, northern, etc)…
    This as official as I can get it (right from the horses mouth)……
    The fryer will be going at our shacks next weekend…Yipppeeeeeeee

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I think thats the conclusion we came to as well.

It use to be stated in the regs in bold print. They removed it this year or last..

Thanks for the follow up..

jrcunning1

It was a go around AND AROUND issue with our group too…Just finally wanted to hear it from “the man”..Hope this helps others too…Cause a fresh fish fry RIGHT ON THE ICE w/ a cold beverage is the best EVER!!!! And women wonder why we do it (ice fish that is)….Later..Jim

the_grump
    Le Center

Thanks for the effort you put in to find the correct answer. I for one was under the impression, that all species were off limits to on the lake meals.
    With a little luck the perch will be swimming in mazola tommorow

jrcunning1

I find that a cold Bud Light, a bunch of freshly cleaned perch & a pile of hot steamin’ tator tots fit the bill quite nicely…….Good luck……….Jim
    Ps. I questioned this guy up one side & down the other to make sure we were clear in what I was asking and he insisted that the only limitations were on SLOT fish AND as long as you handled the guts/entrails properly..

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Sounds like time for an Eelpout fry.

jrcunning1

You bring some to hunter’s sleepers 5 & 6 and I’ll give ’em a try next weekend…Ain’t ne’er done that before…Just take out the back strips & fry ’em up???

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Yup! They are mighty good eatin’. Unfortunately I’m going to be working and won’t make it up there. Have a great time Ya’ll!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Just take out the back strips & fry ’em up???

Nope you boil them some will bake or broil after boiling.

Poor mans Lobster for sure…..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

It really is like cooking Lobster or Crab. Most people use a season bag and lemons. Pout is really easy to overcook and thats when people get a bad taste for it. Just boil it like you would crab. 4-5 minutes top.

jrcunning1

So just boil it in water???…Maybe with a little cajun seasoning, kielbasa, onions, lemons, baby red potatoes??? I do a crab boil like that……jim

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

It’s really good if it’s done right. Fried up in your basic beer batter as you would do your typical fish n’ chips. Also makes great fish sandwiches.

jrcunning1

schrumper,
    u got any hints on the best way to fillet one of those bad boys???? i know everyone says “back meat only” and that is pretty self explanatory….any tricks there??

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

you just fillet out the backstaps just like a deer

desperado

yes, the backstraps just like a deer
    AND the tail filets just like a walleye
    it’s all good meat, not much extra effort to get the tail filets if you’re already cutting him anyhow and a shame to waste any of that delicious cod flesh

jrcunning1

Schrump,
    That link is perfect….Cleaned a TON of fish in my day & that looks pretty straight forward…Might even give it a try next weekend…See how many of I get on….
    Thanks a ton….Jim

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Let me know when ya do the pout I planned on keeping all mine it is spose to be awsome i hear but never tried much of it….We will be int he 2 man sleeper out of hunters see ya there…should i bring up some venison steaks as well? anyone going to have a grill I will if I have a truck by than

pdonnelly

Ya, but Derek I don’t gag when I look a lobster, and I’ve never had a lobster curl around my arm. Thanks for the tip on cooking one of them critters anyway. Pat

jrcunning1

Guys,
    I think we are going to do our fish fry either Friday or Saturday night. We are getting up there Thursday around noon. Stop by shacks 5 & 6 and ask for Cunningham…These are the new 6 bunk 12×22’s that George built…If there is a grey Durango with an enclosed trailer sitting there, we are there……Packing my gear tonight, gettin ready…
    Look us up…………………..Jim

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Ahhh Sat night would be the buffett at hunter’s I believe…

jrcunning1

Yes it is…What time does that start?? Would like to eat early & stay on the ice (since we usually don’t get to fish much on sunday……might stick around this year though…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.