Tip Downs and Frigid Weather

• raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

I was wondering if anyone has anything special they do when using tip-downs in freezing weather. More or less do you do anything to keep your holes from freezing up or at least slow down the process? Do you just switch to tip-ups when it gets too frigid?

Thanks,
    tim

col._klink
    St Paul

Yup. Take a chuck of scrap plywood. Cut a peice 12″ by 12″ square. Then take a roto zip or whatever and make a slot to the center of your square. Then in the middle take a 1″ paddle bit and make a hole. I have even added a little spray foam to insulate the cover for the hole.

This works pretty good to keep the hole from freezing and keeps the hole dark. I think that helps.

When you put your flag down it will be sititng on top of the plywood. Works pretty god when you get a flag. Just lift the whole works up and start fighting……..

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I use carpet remnants. Same idea as the Col, but you also will have a nice dry place to kneel on when fighting and landing the fish. Try to get a piece of carpet with the pad attached, they stay drier in warm or slushy conditions.

col._klink
    St Paul

Carpet????

How easy is that!

Forget my idea

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Thanks guys, I will give it a try. With the lack of snow on the ice I will have to watch for the carpet freezing to the ice too hard but should work well.

-tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.