hows the ice on chisago area?

• amarble_eye

hey i was wondering if anybody knew what the ice conditions are for chisago area? please reply.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

pretty good ! ive been out on green ,chisago, s center with my 4 wheeler , no problems …… id say a good 8-10 inches in most areas ….. walleyes been real good on s center…….

amarble_eye

Quote:

pretty good ! ive been out on green ,chisago, s center with my 4 wheeler , no problems …… id say a good 8-10 inches in most areas ….. walleyes been real good on s center…….

thanks for the info, i was wondering where you are fishing for the eyes, i was out there last year a few times and did not see any. thanks.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

12.5 inches on chisago last night. and did we ever get into the slabs!!!! we caught approximately 70 crappies between two of us in 3hrs. a lot of 10″-12″ fish, but enough 14″+ crappies to make it worth to keep, was definitely keeping us busy all night. there is a ice heave on chisago you need to look out for, it is on the upper half of chisago.

DanB

if you don’t mind me asking where were you finding those 14+ crappies. I have been on green and had good luck on tip up northerns and smaller crappies, but they are hesitant to bite on green.

amarble_eye

i was out on chisago at sunset point i think, where the water is 6 ft deep only. caught alot of crappies as soon as the sun went down. but not really any 14 inchers. during the day while there was still light i looked down the whole when the fish was not biting and saw a huge northern. it was probably 40 in at least. but the thing was not hungry. i put down a shiner and he just stared at it forever and left. that was about it.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Perch 44, any pictures of the those bigger crappies?

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Nice sized crappies!

Regarding ice conditions…

Driving past Comfort on Saturday and noticed two very sizeable areas which looked to have recently frozen (clear/black), compared to the milky white/gray ice everywhere else. Not sure how thick the ice is in those two areas, but be careful…especially given that the snow last night would have covered those areas up.

Jim

><(((>

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

if you don’t mind me asking where were you finding those 14+ crappies.

we were on chisago. now, we did a lot, and i mean a lot of moving around to find the fish, but we would get on schools of fish that would provide non-stop action, as in – can’t keep your line in the water – for short periods of time. now i’ve never gotten into crappies like those before, usually smaller ones on those lakes. but i will say, the majority of the large ones were caught out of one group of fish.

and for the guy that asked, sorry i don’t have any pics. i know you’re probably doubting me, but we did get on those fish. and i’ll be the first to admit, i typically have some baaaad karma with me when it comes to fishing the hardwater. softwater – i usually catch the most out of my group!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Perch 44, not doubting, I just like to see pics of big crappies caught by others and myself occasionally. Especially when they come from a fishery not known to produce nice crappies every weekend. I rarely find any crappies bigger than 11 inches in the chisago area, but I believe they have to be there somewhere. They all can’t be 8-9 inchers all their lives. Every year there are tons of those average sized fish, but some have to grow and make it to nice sized fish. I have heard from a panfishing guru before that there are nice crappies in chisago. Congrats to you catching them and moving around to find them! If you could keep finding them, then maybe you could enter the Trap Atack tournament in February and win.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

chisago has some real nice fish , but like he said the key is to move around and stay on top of them . they are there ive gotten a few 12″ 13″ on a rare occasion ! but they are there …..

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

eyes been pretty good in whispering bay !!!!! theres a 16ft hole that we sit on …. and jig with spoons tipped with a minnow …

amarble_eye

hey crappie chaser if you dont mind me asking how would you get to that whispering bay. i’ve been trying to get some walleyes all winter and so far ive got none.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

I TAKE HWY 8 TO GREEN LAKE TRL TK A RIGHT , FOLLOW AROUND GREEN LAKE TILL U GET TO 83 TAKE ANOTHER RIGHT . YOULL GO PAST CHISAGO LAKE ON YOUR LEFT , KEEP GOING TILL YOU COME TO THE T IN THE ROAD TAKE A LEFT . THEN GO DOWN ABOUT 1/2 MILE TILL U SEE GLADER AVE TAKE ANOTHER RIGHT , YOULL SEE SIGNS FOR WHISPERING BAY RIGHT AWAY . FOLLOW THEM TO THE LAKE …..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.