FIRELINE

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I see a lot of you guys are using power pro but wondered if normal fireline works for jigging spoons or does that freeze up pretty bad was just curious i guess so i am not stripping off fireline to put on the walleye reels i usually use mono but like the feel of fireline when I fish and was just curious….thanks guys

scottsteil
    Central MN

I don’t use any “superline” for ice fishing. Flourocarbon is the way to go in my opinion. Supelines absorb a lot of water and can be a real pain to deal with in many situations on the ice.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Scott, What brand/brands of Fluorocarbon(sp?) do you use?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I use Berkley Vanish 2lb or 4 lb depending on the species. I do have one rod with 6lb on but for the most part I use 2 & 4. If you get into the heavier pound test line it starts to get unmanageable in the cold.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Yep, this season I changed to 4lb. Vanish for the walleye applications. I was apprehensive as it seemed too light. Needless to say I have landed numerous fish in the 24″-28″ range without any problems and would recommend it to anyone. The stuff it tough.

Thanks.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

I am buying 2 rattle reels for the GTG in the evenings. Would you guys put the 4lb Vanish on those as well. Love2Fish.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I’m not a rattle wheel due to not fishing from permanents very often. I use tip-ups though and is basically the same presentation. On those I use a 6lb Vanishas a leader splices to the tip-up line. It has worked for me with good results. I step up 1 size from 4 lb because I feel the line takes a little more abuse or is prone to nicking since it’s on the ice and tends to get stepped on or tangles/knots.

Again, it works for me and am sure it would be fine for rattle wheels.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Scott;
    What type of knots are you using with the vanish? I’ve had problems with the typical cynch knot breaking on me, plus I’ve heard it from many others too, about knot breakage on that line.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I am buying 2 rattle reels for the GTG in the evenings. Would you guys put the 4lb Vanish on those as well. Love2Fish.

I would stick to at least 6#. Most people run a heavy dacron to a 3-4 foot leader of mono or florocarbon. Every rental I have ever been in are pre-rigged with rattle wheels.

-J.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Gary, that was true of the original Vanish. I use the old trilene knot. But, any knot works fine now that Vanish has changed. For Rattle Reels or tip-ups would use heavy black ice line and then add a Flourocarbon leader. I like 2-3ft on my set-ups. 6lb line on a tip-up will be a little light because of the lack of strech in the system.

A few of my set-ups actually have 14 lb Vanish on and they work just as good as the next. Tip-ups and Rattle reels are hard on the leader material so you will want to change it more often or check it for line abbrasion regularily.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks for the update Scott!
    I purchased a 6# spool of Vanish about 5 years ago……threw it in the garbage when I couldn’t tie any snells with it, kept breaking……never looked back!

scottsteil
    Central MN

It has been reformulated, great stuff

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

well I will add that to the list that for sure thanks scott…..does Hunter supply rattle reels i assume in sleepers…the less s#@! i pack the better

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.