Bubbles through the ice

• cav90
    Chisago City, MN

The last few times I’ve been out fishing I’ve notice quite a few air bubbles coming up through the hole. Does anyone know what causes this? My buddy thought it might be carp on the bottom of the lake stirring up the bottom. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I’m not really sure either…most likely fish or something on the bottom stirring up the muck..weeds also give off oxygen and i believe that these make bubbles as well. Its always annoying when you get a good mark coming flying up toward your jig on the flasher and it just keeps going couple seconds later and its a bubble in your ice hole!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They had Steve MacComas on Soucheray a while back and he was saying it is carbon dioxide and methane from decaying weeds. Lakes with more weeds or mucky bottoms tend to have more of it. They will congregate in the highest point of ice, usually towards the middle of the lake or bay. Towards spring when the ice melts, it looks like a star or a hole like someone dropped a big rock from an airplane. You may have seen them and always wondered what causes them.

shayla

Methane gas from the lake bottom. Or, possibly mermaids depending on which lake you are on. Hopefully not methane gas from mermaids, though! Hope this helps.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Quote:

couple seconds later and its a bubble in your ice hole!

Man there is nothing worse than getting bubbles in your ICEHOLE!

Speaking of bubbles there is an advantage to thin ice and no snow, assuming the ice is safe enough to hold you. Remember how hard it is to zero in on fish cribs? Just a few feet off and your no where near what your looking for and 25 holes later your out of gas and the fish are all over in Yonder Bay. Well when the ice is still thin and clear and no snow is covering it you can find the cribs very easy thanks to the tell tale bubbles in the shape of the cribs below. It’s no ownder some of the early ice guys catch so many fish, they can find them very easy!

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

Bubbles through the ice

scared me for a minute there, thought michael jackson’s year was off to a bad start

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.