Ice Crack on East Side of Mille Lacs

• jrcunning1

Anyone have any more details about the crack on the east side of Mille Lacs??…..Hunter’s shut down all vehicle traffic…..

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

When did they do that, this morning?

cheers

Never mind, I just visited Hunter’s website

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

it just posted on their web site

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They are going to bridge it. Chances are as soon as it gets cold tonight, it will close up and heal on it’s own.
    Wheelers and sleds are going out without a problem.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Chris, I’m making plans for Friday/Saturday, will you be up?
    Good luck
    cheers

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Its from Picard Point to 3 mile. Its getting attention as we type.

krisko
    Durand, WI

What do you guys mean by a crack…I take it you mean ice heave right?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Not talking about your low riders Monte Krisko.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

Not talking about your low riders Monte Krisko.

Please don’t make me go there Derick…so have you been to Kohl’s latley????

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

crack meaning when we get cold weather the ice contracts and seperates from other ice therefore making new cracks in the lake….sometimes only a couple inches wide to sometimes several feet!!!
    And so when we get warmer weather the ice will expand and cause heaves sometimes as well. The cold weather could cause the ice to contract (move) to cause ice heaves as well!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Bridge is in and roads are again open. Is that up to date info or what?

kurtkid
    South metro

Dman Sorry I missed you at Hunters last weekend. I must have walked right by. Do you think we will have enough ice
    for truck traffic to the flats by this weekend?

krisko
    Durand, WI

I see I was a little confused on the report. I know I’ve been on LOTW and ran into the same problem….

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I do think so. They are open to the boot, and sliver. Things should heal up and be ready by the weekend. Don’t count on it. Just my opinion and George is watching me type this and hasn’t swatted me on the back of my head yet.
    Keep your speed down when driving out there and things will keep lookin up.

jrcunning1

A compliment to George already & we haven’t even got there yet…Sounds like you are have done & are doing a GREAT job of keeping things running as smoothly as possible…Can’t wait to get up there next weekend. Get shacks 5 & 6 warm….Would like also to thank Doug for giving me your name when I was looking for rentals back in the fall…..See you next weekend…
    Quick question…Do you/they have bait/licenses at hunter’s or do we need to stop in at Portside??? Need minnies & one more shack license…..Thanks again George!
    Jim

earnit

this might be my 2nd ever post. Think I’ve been a member for about a year…….I lurk a lot

Just wanted to jump in and say I’ll be up with a large group the weekend of the 19th! Coming up from Southwest Wisconsin. Staying in the houses from McQuoid’s Inn.

Very excited and looking forward to it! First timer! Please PM me or post on this thread any tips or reports…..if y’all don’t mind.

Maybe I’ll get the chance to meet some of you??

Counting the days…….

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

No Bait or License at Hunters. Thanks for the Kudos Jim.

earnit

when you say shack license….can I ask a stupid question?

If I bring my portable soft-sided shanty, does that need to have a license on it? Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Yes it does. From what I was told pretty much anything that has at least 3 sides needs a Minnesota shack permit. They are available at license vendors for daily or yearly.

jrcunning1

Ahhhh, the old shack licensing & signage question..Just went all thru this for my new shack….Yes, a dispalyed license is required ($12 or $16 I think), then the sign with name/address/phone or name/D.L number that must be attached to said shack…then anything left or out after dark must have atleast 2 sq/in of reflective tape on EACH side……Reading EVERY line of the regs as this weekend they will be out in full force…plus good refresher to keep me from getting a stupid “love letter” from the dnr…Jim

earnit

thanks for the info.

so, about this sign…..do I have to make something up myself, or will this be provided when I get my license for the shanty, to fill out and apply it to the shack?

I guess what I’m asking is…..should I make up the sign before I head up there?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The law states you need a sandwhich board worn on your person at all times.

I usually hire out one of the holiday bell ringers since they are laid off now..

I believe the law is still 2 inches high x 12 inches. Just need your DL # displayed.

jrcunning1

Is the emergency flashing yellow light worn on a red hardhat (equipped with a 400db back up alarm) still required as well (along with the sandwich board)??????? Is the 400 pout limit (with only one over 72″) still on too????

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.