Wear Strips for Portable

• caster

I just bought a Fish Trap Pro and I want to use something other than the factory wear strips (hyfax). I don’t like the new design with the thin edges. With the low snow conditions we seem to have all to often, I don’t think they will last very long. I plan on towing this behind an ATV or hopefully a snowmobile. Is there anyone that has a good source for this type of plastic? Thanks.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

This is all second hand information, but…
    I fished with a friend last week that had the same feelings about the thin ones. He said he went to a snowmobile part shop and bought the same material in a much better dimension. He said he actually installed them betweeen the factory ribs and still achieved more sacraficial wearing surface than the hyfaxs.
    Good luck
    cheers

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Send a e-mail to this guy. He will drill the holes and give you all the accessories to install them.

[email protected]

wicked_1
    Eau Claire WI

Next time you change the hyfax on your snowmobile drill a couple more holes in the old ones and bolt them to the runners on the fish trap. Sould last forever. Look how long they last on a snowmobile with all that friction. Just sant or grind the leading edge.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I’m working on a price quote from USPLASTICS right now. They show the stuff at $1.70/ft but in 10ft lengths. (1/2″thick 1″ width) Need to see what cutting charge and shipping costs are.

caster

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll post my decision and how it works. I’m thinking of having some stuff cut wider than 1″ to match the molded runners on the sled. This should also help the wear.

Fisher Ed

Thanks Scott for tossing my name out there. Sgt. Rock, I can do better than the price you were given from USPlastics and I don’t mess with cut charges. Just the plastic, shipping and any stainless hardware to attach the strips to your sled. The bad thing is all I have left right now is 48″ lengths that are 1/2″ thick and as wide as you would like them to be cut.

Ed

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Ed : Glad to see the link I gave you and the invite to this site worked. Welcome!! I got your last email msg and hoping to hear from you when you get more stock in. Told you this was a good place. But beware the addiction.

caster

Here is a photo of the runners I put on my PRO. 1/2″ UHMW x 2 1/2″ wide. I got some material cheap, cut it to size, and formed it to the shape of the sled. Then I drilled & countersunk some 1/4″ stainless flathead machine screws.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

So caster,

Were did you find that hifax?

Thanks,
    Kurt

caster

A guy I work with said he had a friend that works for a plastic supply place and could set me up. I don’t want to mention the name in case someone see this and causes a fuss. He was able to get me some drop from a job they were cutting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.