Pool 8 Ice Report 1-08-07

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I know it may be hard to beleive, but there is still ice on area backwaters. After getting a tip from a fellow member of an undisclosed location, I made a trip out to look for some fish through the ice. Upon arriving at the location I checked the ice close to the shore and found a solid 4″ once you got past the foot of rotten shoreline ice. From there I made my way across the slough toward some man made structure and spudded a previous hole open. This area had 12 fow and basically void of any type of weed growth. I landed a few potatoe chip crappies and decided to do a little more searching. I tried a few other holes with either the same results or nothing at all. I then drilled another hole and this hole was right over top of some sort of structure. I don’t have a camera so I am guseeing it was either weeds or a brush pile of some sort. I could get the jig through to the bottom if the jig was heavy enough or if I happened to drop it in the right place. I got a few hits there but nothing substantial. The final hole I drilled just off to the side of the previous one in hopes of getting out of whatever was down the last one. This hole proved to be the best one of the day. It didn’t produce fish one right after another but it did produce a nice mix of gills and perch. The fish came through this area in schools. In times when it got slow, I would drop a forage minnow all the way down and pound the bottom. This always brought fish in to take a look in a short amount of time. The gills I caught were just off the bottom. They would appear on the LX-5 and just look at the jigs. Once I raised the jig a little they would hammer it. The perch were actually suspended 1-2 feet off the bottom and relating to the structure. They didn’t hesitate to slam the jig at all. I caught all my fish today on just 2 jigs and did not tip them with anything.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is a shot of one of the dozen or so perch I caught and released. I released all the fish today.
    You can see on the flasher the structure that the perch were relating to. It is the bands off the bottom in about 6-9 fow.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Finally, here is a shot of the 2 producers for me today.
    One is the Lil’ Cecil and the other is a shrimpo. Also note the color, purple is the only thing I could get fish to hit on today. Also, like I said before, no meat was used to catch fish today. I did try some waxies but all I got were a few lookers.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You and Cade on the ice have got me jealous and full of envy
    With the cold nights and not so warm days I should be able to find some ice by the weekend. Keep us up to date with what is working guys

Purple I wonder if I have some purple!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Nice report Wats! I keep telling everyone that asks that if they just use their heads and be a little creative, that they will find some ice, and fish on pool 8! glad to see you found a little piece yourself!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.